Friday, September 09, 2011

MY BEST EFFORT

This week I have given a great deal of thought and prayer into the phrase "My Best Effort."

I remember being a child and hearing someone on TV ask someone, "Daddy, what happens when my best isn't good enough?" I'll be honest, I don't remember what the person on TV said back to that person, but I remember my exact thought at that time, "Your best is the best you can do."

I think as an adult, my own definition of that for myself changes on a regular basis. I'm one of those annoying people that is harder on myself than someone else ever could be. (Trust me, God and I talk a lot about that!) My BEST effort looks so different day-to-day, but there's not a day that I just sit around and twiddle my thumbs. There is paperwork to do, people to talk to, kids to work with, meetings to go to, gosh the list goes on and on. And please understand, I'M NOT COMPLAINING, I'm blessed beyond words that I'm here for a time such as this. That being said, by the time I get home to my couch, I haven't just sat around very much at all during the day. To me, that is AMAZINGLY cool. I don't want to be a slacker. I want to be the hardest worker that I know, giving 110% to all I do.

This week though, I wrestled with God on this very issue. I was going to work, coming home, and still feeling as if I wasn't getting anywhere. I wasn't getting anywhere, and I was GIVING MY BEST EFFORT. By last night, I was bummed by that statement.

God always meets me in those moments. At 4am, I awoke with so many things on my mind. This isn't normal for me, I usually sleep through the night peacefully. And for the first time in a long time, I just woke up, and prayed to God as I cuddled with Jay. Somewhere in there, peace occurred and I fell asleep. God had met me.

Today I had a different outlook on it all. My best is enough. My best just can't turn into something overwhelming. My best is not walking alone, but it's walking hand-in-hand with God, and together it's enough.

My theme song this week has been Strong Enough by Matthew West. Yep, I'm not strong enough, but with Him, I am.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
GREAT!!!

No comments: