Friday, September 22, 2017

QuikTrip Ponderings

The Quiktrip closest to me closed in order to build a bigger, better, QuikTrip. I wasn't paying attention to the social media postings that said it was closing. I noticed about two weeks ago that it was closed. For the past couple weeks I've watched them demolish the building and parking lot when I've been headed to or from work.

I mean it's gone. If you hadn't been here before, you wouldn't believe there was one there three weeks ago. It was a BUSY Quiktrip too.

Then I checked Social Media. It's closed for four months to build a new one.

I have to admit that I smiled. I've become a Quiktrip fan since I moved here. *grin*

So, everyday as I drive to work, I pass the QT location. They have even broken the concrete of the parking lot and where the gas pumps were at. They were also smart and put a fence around it. No telling what trouble could happen if someone played in there. *eek*

So, with every passing day you can hardly tell that there was a QT there. Sure, they kept the gas price sign up, and I doubt they'll change it. Then again, maybe they will add something to it, so it can be digital. *grin*

You wouldn't think that a QT being demolished would lead me to some deep ponderings, but it seriously has led to some thoughts. Some I'll put here and some I'll add to my private writings. Here goes, and as always, this is more for me than you.

I pray all the time. No, not out loud but I am constantly asking Him questions in my head. I mean, teaching isn't easy, so I ask for guidance as I teach each young person. I have several that are in a place academically where I'm building the foundation of their education. I'm literally attempting to teach ABCs and numbers. My students are like those boulders that are chipped and challenged. I pray that I can build them up and teach them as well as that construction team is working to make that building out of nothing. Seriously.

I've also thought about my school year this year. Last year was tough, and I had many days I dreaded work. You'd have to have seen it to get it. Suffice to say, I felt like last year I was becoming a student behavior expert and came home tired everyday. Fortunately, I didn't quit and become a Wal-Mart greeter, as I pondered on some of the hardest days. *giggle* This year, I'm seeing the results of my hard work from last year. Sure, there are still bumps, but I feel like the foundation laid last year prepared me and the kids for this year. Totally. Today one of the kids knew 20 of his letters, and last year we had six. Special Education takes TIME. We're building those littles like they're building that QT. *grin*

My paraprofessional, and friend, from the past 3 years moved on unexpectedly to a different building. Initially I felt like that building being demolished, and I was in a small funk. You know me, I never stay there, but gosh we were close friends. As always, He knows what I need before I do. He brought someone that is becoming precious to me too, and we laugh together daily. We're building the Learning Center in a special way, and I am thankful for the change. He knows me well enough to know that I hate change, and fight it more often than I'd like to admit. I'm gaining a new friend, which has blessed me tons. Don't worry, my former assistant and I text almost daily. I didn't lose her, we both just gained what we need for this season in our lives. Totally. *grin*

I've spent HOURS in the dentist's office the past few weeks. It has been HARD. Every trip has included shots and various procedures. On top of what I have had physically, the financial commitment has been unexpected, but worth every penny. I mean, you only get one set of teeth. *grin* I've thought a lot about my students as I'm basically pinned in that chair with (at times) some painful stuff going on. I had tears well up at one point this past week in the dentist chair and my legs at one point shook beyond my control. It was tough, like those concrete blocks in that construction site. At the same time, I persevered and made it. It made me think a lot about my students who are asked to sit and work when it's hard. It also reminded me why some people struggle to pray. In that moment when I was shaking, it wasn't until I prayed that it stopped. I imagine that what I did is a typical human thing, I was trying to just make it stop. Prayer in my head, and then it stopped. *giggle*

Perhaps the biggest lesson I've been praying through has been what I've heard this week. I now remember why Jay and God are my top two peeps. *giggle* Humans can be, well, human. I heard some people this week talking about other people, and I just wanted to be away from the negative discussions. In the dentist's chair I heard my dentist talking poorly about someone else as she worked on my tooth. Granted, it wasn't someone I knew, but it still broke my heart. I didn't want to hear it, and didn't hear tons over the drills and such, but I didn't enjoy that. I left that office and prayed a lot that night not to want to be that negative woman. I want to build others up as they walk through life this side of Heaven. Truly. I'm finding that to be more and more rare as I get older. I pray I build people to be who they're made to be, just as that new QT is gonna be really cool when it's done. *giggle*

I'm now bed-bug free. Yes, I had the joy of the bed bug experience this past summer. I'll spare you the details, but I did wind up having to have exterminators come and take care of it. (Random fact, they had to get my room to 140 degrees to treat it. Who knew? *giggle*) They had to strip everything down to build it back up just as they are doing with that QT. Let me tell ya, it was worth every penny. I like living back in my room now (I was staying in my guest bedroom) and the freedom that has come with the extermination. It's weird how we get used to things in life that are weird, like living in a guest bed and doing laundry in a way that kept bed bugs from the other bedrooms. It was broken down to be built back up. Kinda cool. Definitely cool to be in my new bed free of bugs. Totally. *grin*

Finally, so many things have happened already this school year, and I'm excited to see where we're headed. Our leadership is amazing, and the year is going well. I'm excited, just as I'm excited for the new QT to open. *grin*

It's the first day of Fall. I'm excited for that too!

LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME.

1 comment:

T. M. Hunter said...

Plenty of valuable lessons in all of this. Definitely a good read!