Friday, April 24, 2020

Margaret, Rest in Peace

Today my work family received word that one of our coworkers went to Heaven on Wednesday. Margaret Crow was in charge of transportation when I started at The Whole Person (TWP) in July 2018. I first met her during Orientation and she explained the procedures for taking our fleet cars. From the moment I met her, I knew she was special.

I had a few really special moments with her that will stick with me the rest of my life. Margaret drove us to Jeff City last year for Disability Rights Day. I'll never forget her coming in and sitting down by me after the event. It was the first time I had really talked to her. Her heart came through as we talked through some tough things, and I saw her (proverbial) heart. She was transparent in the chat and we both teared up. Then, someone needed her and she was gone to help someone with something. That was her heart for all of us, she wanted to help in ANY way she could. I also never saw her in a bad mood. Ever.

I'll never forget the first time I took the mod van and had someone that had to be buckled in right then. No one had trained me on it. Margaret was walking by and hopped on the van and taught me how to safely get the intern attached to the van. She didn't have to do that, she did it because she wanted to help. That will forever stick with me because she WANTED to do that. *grin*

Finally, the last time I saw her was in her house after her diagnosis. I hate Cancer. Hate, hate, hate it. I adored Margaret though. She sat on her love seat, and had just recently quit her job at TWP due to her diagnosis of Cancer throughout her body. She invited me to sit down and I learned a little bit more about her. I learned she loved art, and had some really cool art tools. I learned how much she loved Chiefs football & I'm so very glad that her last Chiefs season was the one where we won the Super Bowl. We texted more than once through the Chiefs most recent season which was cool.

As she sat there, she said words I'll never forget, "It's a new season, I'm getting used to it." That was Margaret. She didn't complain, she simply looked for the good in each situation I witnessed her in. Even when she would have had reason to complain, she didn't when I was around. She would always smile and make a comment about how fortunate she was in any situation. She inspired me several times in the short time I knew her.

Margaret, you won't be forgotten. I saw TONS of messages about you today, and A LOT of your friends can't believe you're gone. The silver lining in this is the fact you and Mo are back together again. That makes us smile. So many of us on this side of Heaven will miss you, but we'll also remember that you aren't in pain anymore. You loved people well on this side, and we are all better people for having you in our lives. You'll always hold a special place in my heart. ALWAYS. *grin* Rest in Peace, my friend. With Love, Shannon

1 comment:

Sheila Styron said...

Until I saw this post tonight, I had never read your blog, which I have been enjoying reading. I have always wished maybe I would journal but I have never gotten around to doing so. Good for you!