Saturday, October 24, 2020

2020 Adventures

What a year it has been. 

It feels like it's been a lifetime since January in so many different ways. 

I have had highs, lows, and everything in between this year. 

A pandemic is not for the faint at heart, that's for sure. I have not had the CaronaVirus. (Unless I was asymptomatic and just didn't know.) As of today we've lost over 220,000 Americans to the virus. We'll lose more too, unfortunately. I could do a whole post on this topic, but I don't want to do that. 
I continue to pray for all of those affected and on the front lines. This is a year we won't forget for sure. *grin* 

So, I noticed my last post was in May. That seems like a lifetime ago too. The Chiefs won the Super Bowl this year too?  That was sooo long ago too. *giggle*

In March I started job searching. I know, job searching in a pandemic seems crazy, doesn't it? Well, it's 2020 so anything can happen, right? *giggle* After interviewing with several districts over the Summer for a teaching gig in the fall, nothing panned out. I was actually okay with that. I mean, I liked my job at The Whole Person. The Pandemic created a friendship with three coworkers that occurred daily at lunch. Yes, via zoom and then in person when possible. I also enjoyed the groups I led, so that was special to me too. I was happy. 

My financial life was getting to me though. I missed the income the teacher gig gave me. I remember praying one night in September that I needed more money. 

Then my phone rang that next morning while I was at work from a school district. I'll be honest, I didn't expect it to pan out. My heart had been broken by the districts I had hoped to work for and then they just didn't pan out. I had already told God I was okay doing one more year at TWP. Then He opened a door. *grin*

After three interviews, I got the job!!! Insert happy dance here. *giggle* I accepted a Special Education Resource position at a district in Kansas. *grin*

The afternoon I accepted the job I had all the feels. I was so excited about my new adventure, but I'm so relational that the idea of leaving the TWP family made me sad. Then I remembered that many other friends had moved on from TWP but we were still in touch. (Chiefs games mean text chats, and so does THIS IS US!) I let myself feel the feels but I didn't stay there. 

I was legitimately pumped about the new job. It meant fewer miles on my car, less gas, less time on the road, more money, better work hours, and I don't time in and out. (That last one is minor, but gosh it has made me smile daily.) 

I was SOOOO nervous. If I hadn't been, that would have been weird, right? *grin* I've been working in my new school 13 days and I can honestly say I LOVE IT! I do think the two years away from teaching was a gift. I also think doing something different was key. I'll openly admit, I miss my old school, but I know I'm where I'm supposed to be. *grin* 

Now, I won't say it's been easy. We're still in a pandemic, and school had already started. I knew on day 1 that I was already behind since I didn't get to set up my room or lesson plan like usual. Upon arrival, half of my day was online teaching and half in person. Let me tell you, this has not been easy. 

All students are due back Monday and I'm so excited! I'm sure you're wondering, so I'll share that we are extremely safe at school. We wear masks all day, distance when we can, and spray cleaner every time students leave. We also stay pretty much in our own teams, and even our staff meeting was virtual. The district is doing a good job at keeping us all safe. 

At the same time, we're nervous that we'll have to quarantine with so many humans in the building. I am already praying about that though. I'm not nervous I'll get it, but I am nervous that we'll have to quarantine. I just keep reminding myself that God has us. *grin*

2020 has been an adventure for sure. I am walking Jay daily, coloring regularly to relieve stress, zooming with my family weekly, and am happy. Perhaps I'll do other posts about the amazing people that have gone on to Heaven this year, or the weight of a pandemic, political battles, a year without Barnabas family, well, the list of posts could go on and on.

Or maybe not. 

EVEN IN 2020 LIFE IS GOOD. 

I'm smiling more, laughing more. and loving the people God has surrounded me with for this season. Life is short. Life is good. *grin*

No comments: