Monday, August 27, 2007

The Vultures!

So, I'm beginning to see some things at work that amaze me. The kids are great. I've had my share of ups and downs with them, but that's okay. Kids are kids and some days are going to be good and some are going to be rough. My life will go on, no matter how rough the kids are. (I'm getting a new one tomorrow that may build my character, we shall see!) But, kids are kids, that's okay.

Today, I was amazed by how the ADULTS in my building acted. Now, let me tell ya, it wasn't a big thing in the whole grand scheme of things. But, I was shocked.

I've been at the school 9 years now, and have always been amazed at how wonderful the staff is to each other. And, overall, we really are good to one another. I mean, one gal on our staff just lost her son and people are reaching out to her...

But, then I was in a meeting after school, and was floored. I guess you get a room full of frustrated adults, and they're bound to lash out. Unfortunately, I saw the "Vultures" today. I mean, people talking bad about other people, and I was floored because everyone is so nice to each other face to face. I was floored, shocked, and above all else, saddened.

My late friend, Stepehanie, used to use the term "vultures", and now I fully grasp it. The vultures, as defined by Stephanie, are a group of people who can't help but be negative and backstab others around them. Today I saw it in full swing.

Granted, I was frustrated with someone too, but didn't want to say things to hurt the person. I understand frustration completely, but I don't think backstabbing is necessary.

And I recognize God has been challenging me to be the most positive person I know. Which, as I found out today, is harder to do than I thought. I don't want to be a vulture. I want to be an encourager. A positive influence on both kids and adults around me.

Hum...perhaps sleep will help...

Later!

No comments: