Thursday, September 02, 2010

Lessons from Flashpoint

One of my favorite TV shows right now is the show Flashpoint. It's a show about a team of Strategic Response Unit Officers (SRU) that go into hostage situations and (usually) rescue hostages from various situations. I know, I know, it's an odd show to like from that one sentence description, but I am intrigued by it and look forward to it every week.

The main theme that runs through it is that they must "connect" with every person who holds the hostages captive so that they can get them to surrender the hostages, as well as themselves. They often say "You must connect with the person..." I like that. I found myself thinking about that yesterday.

My new kid was having his first "off" day and I felt that connecting with him was going to be INCREDIBLY important. And, it worked. It took a while, but in the end, the kid was joking and laughing with me. I LOVED it. And, it appeared to turn his day around. The rest of the day he was fine and I was pumped!!!

Today he had another tough day, and I attempted to connect, but it didn't work. However, tomorrow is a new day, and I am praying that he'll come in with the "New Day" outlook and will do fine.

I think for this kid to connect is a risky thing, in his mind. He's been through more "stuff" than I could imagine. So, my prayer is that I can be a consistent adult in his life that he can trust. I realize it will take time, but that's okay. The journey is half the fun, because on the other side of all this, he will become a young adult that will see that there is someone who is able to love him unconditionally and consistently. He will also learn that connecting is a good thing, and that he won't always get hurt along the way.

And the best thing is that I'm also praying for him each day too! *grin*

Life.
Is.
Good.

No comments: