Monday, September 13, 2010

Rounding Decimals and Whole Numbers

The fifth graders in my building are working on rounding numbers. I don't recall having difficulty with rounding numbers, I really don't. It all just made sense to me. My students, on the other hand, are confused in the rounding game. One teacher even found a Rounding Wrap that I thought would make it easier. It didn't.

Today we were working on it, and the kids understand the whole 0-4, 5-9 rule, but they don't understand what number that applies to. Some examples include:

Student: Do you round the number next to it?
Me: No, you are ROUNDING this number.
Student: Oh. I don't get it.

Student: Here, will you check this?
Me: Well, you rounded the right number, but you have to write the ENTIRE number on the line.
Student: Why?

Student: How about if I just add a whole bunch of zeroes? Will that work?
Me: Head hits the table. I say a silent prayer in my head.

So, here's the deal, I love my job. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, love my job, so if you believe in prayer, please say one for me. I want these kids to get it, but I have a feeling it will take all week before they get it.

*grin*

Life.
Is.
Good.

No comments: