Friday, September 17, 2010

Sign Language Class and Podcasts

For the first time in YEARS I am sitting on the other side of the teachers desk, playing the role of a student. On Thursday Evenings, I get in my car and drive about 25 minutes to a SMALL community college in Independence. I'll be honest, I had never even heard of the college until I started searching for Sign Language Classes after I returned from Camp Barnabas this Summer.

During my time out at Camp, my heart was stirred for individuals with Hearing Impairments. I came back determined to learn more Sign Language. I honestly don't know what God is leading me to do with my new love of the language, but I do know I REALLY enjoyed my time out at camp learning about the deaf culture and growing in their language! So, I enrolled in TWO Sign Language Classes this Fall.

Now, let me be completely honest here. The classes are not for credit. While my heart is stirred, I still have NO IDEA what God is preparing me for in this season. So, I went the cheap route and am in "Beginning" and "Intermediate" Sign Language Classes. Well, the first 7 weeks are Beginner and the following 7 weeks are the Intermediate Class.

So far, what we've been taught, I already know in Sign Language, which is weird. I feel like the gifted kid in class. I work INCREDIBLY hard at not being a showoff in class, as I know how annoying that can be. The class is (honestly) somewhat boring, as we sit there and go sign-by-sign and say it out loud as we sign it, three times. Yes, so that means, "tree, tree, tree". It isn't the most exciting class, but I find that I am remembering the signs and study very little in-between classes. That is honestly great, because I am still a full-time teacher with full-time responsibilities.

I went back to school the day after my first Thursday Night class, and my students asked how it went. (I have been sharing with them the love of Sign Language. They LOVE learning the signs. Too bad the MAP Test doesn't cover Sign Language.) I was honest with them and said, "Guys, I hate to break it to ya, but not every class is exciting and fun. My class is pretty boring, but we're learning a lot. Sometimes you just have to sit through boring classes to learn things." Needless to say, they weren't happy about that! *grin*

Another bonus of this class is that I have about 50 minutes in my car. Now that I have an ipod, I have discovered the world of podcasts. For those of you not in the world of Podcasting, let me fill you in. Basically, you can go online and download things to your ipod that you can listen to at your leisure. When I first got my ipod from Scienceguy, I put some of Louie Giglio's Podcasts on my ipod. Louie has always been a favorite of mine, and these podcasts have really been ministering to my heart in a deep way.

Last night's podcast was about Life's Twists and Turns. It was really good. It amazes me how I will think I'm no longer wrestling with something, and BAMMO, God will tell me something through someone else and I'll think, "Wow, I am still wrestling..." I am sure you've never felt that. *grin* Needless to say, today I have spent a lot of time pondering and praying. It's been really good.

I look around at people this side of Heaven and so many people just aren't healthy emotionally. I am praying daily that I am a healthy person emotionally. And I am constantly amazed at how God can use ANYTHING to reach each of us in our own way. Last night I got back here and thought, "Okay, thanks God. I'm walking this side of Heaven, with You. I trust You."

Ah...a night class, and God talking to me to and from the class. Not a bad way to spend a night if you ask me.

I can't wait to see what God for me as I grow in Sign Language. I really believe that whatever it is, it's gonna be GOOD!

Life.
Is.
Good.

No comments: