Wednesday, November 21, 2012

#21 Running Water, Toilets, and Cars

Tonight I'm thankful that I live in the United States, where I have running water out of a faucet, a toilet, and a car to drive. All of these are considered normal in this country, but thanks to my friend Karen I now have a new perspective on these things.

I think a lot about how God chose me to be alive for this time in history. If you're a regular reader of this blog, you have heard this before, but perhaps God will deposit something new in your spirit through my ramblings. *giggle*

I could have been chosen to be alive 100 years ago, before we had cars on the road, toilets in our homes, and running water at our fingertips. I think A LOT about stuff like that. (Not to mention technology, but that's for another post. *grin*) I mean, I could have been born years ago, before all these things, but I wasn't. God chose me for a time such as this, which makes me smile pretty much everyday. *grin*

I also think a lot about life here in the States. Through Karen's experiences in Africa, I have a WHOLE new appreciation for what we have here. She shared with me that where she was at, running water didn't exist and they had to walk to get water. For those who live there, they are taught at a young age to carry the water on their heads in bowls. She also didn't experience a real shower the whole time she was there, she did what she had to do, but it's not like here. She walked everywhere, and toilets, well, I'll leave that to your imagination. *grin* Through just those few things, I think about how blessed I am on a daily basis.

For example, I woke up today and my toilet was about 6 steps from my bed. I could flush the toilet to get rid of waste, turn on water in a faucet to properly wash my hands, and a shower could be done with the turn of a nozzle. I am blessed to be able to do all of those things within my master bedroom.

I also got in my car today and ran some errands with Jay. (He loved the car ride!) I drove a car, and the longest walk I had was from the car into the stores I visited.

I'm a blessed gal. I have my own car, running water throughout my house, and toilets within walking distance of my bed, as well as throughout my house. I feel blessed. Enormously blessed.

I won't even get into the fact my school has AUTOMATIC sinks and toilets. That's a whole other post as well! *grin*

It makes me wish everyone could have what we have. I pray for that a lot. I realize that's naive but I have a heart for those who have to work so hard for the things that are considered normal for us here in the States.

Anyway, maybe you think it's odd that I would devote an entire gratitude post to Running Water, Toilets, and Cars. But to me, I'm thankful for each one of them in a VERY big way.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
GREAT!!!

No comments: