Monday, November 05, 2012

#5 My Fifth Graders

Every once in a while, a teacher is blessed with a really cool group of kids. Okay, if you were to ask my parents, they would tell you that I say that about every group of kids that come through my door at school. *giggle* However, this year's fifth graders each hold a special place in my heart, and I am thankful for each one of them. *grin*

Let me give you a perfect example of what I mean. There are seven kids in the group, and they are as different from each other as they can possibly be. However, around my kidney-shaped table, they work well together.

Today we were reading in our Corrective Reading Series. They have worked their way through the first two books and are now reading where my sixth graders were last year! I'm SO PROUD of them! So, we were reading, and pretty much in the middle of each section we wound up laughing for one reason or another within the story.

I enjoy that. In the middle of our STORY, in the lesson, we are laughing because they are COMPREHENDING what they are reading and the story is FUNNY.

Today I loved that!!!

I realize that for some teachers, that would drive them nuts, as it does slow the lesson down a little. However, that's one of the perks of teaching small group, I can do that, and still move the lesson along and make sure we're done on time. *grin*

This year I have a big age range of students throughout our building, and I do love the little guys, but I KNOW that God made me to work with the older ones. It's honestly my favorite part of my day!

Before the lessons, they always ask, "What's the Jay story?" and "Do you have a quote for us?" Yes, I take about 3 minutes to tell a Jay story (if I have one) and tell a quote and try to have them guess what movie it's from. You won't be surprised to hear most of them are from Finding Nemo. *giggle*

So tonight I'm thankful for those seven kids. They have NO IDEA how much I like them. Shhhh, it'll be our secret, k? *giggle*

LIFE.
IS.
GREAT!



No comments: