Sunday, June 19, 2016

Dad's Day 2016

Today I got up and went to church, which is what I usually do on Dad's Day. That isn't anything new. What happened in Sunday School (I attended our adult class) was a little different though. *grin*

I should state that we celebrated Father's Day on Friday with Pizza House Pizza (Best pizza ever!) at my parent's house. We had a wonderful visit, and enjoyed the fantastic pizza. *grin*

So, I attended Sunday School before church. I like my Sunday School class, as it is full of some amazing men and women of God. I just don't go as often as I used to because of serving in Precious Stones. (Love that too!) *grin*

The gentleman teaching posed a question to the group. He asked us to rank our Dad's on a 1-10 scale, and tell why. I don't always answer when we're asked questions, but, felt led to share this morning.

The part of this story that you don't know is that throughout the school year, I often pause and text BOTH my Mom and Dad and thank them for what they've done for me. I wouldn't be where I am today without their unconditional love and guidance during my childhood. Someday I can tell you how much I built their character, but fortunately they don't focus on that. *grin* My Dad consistently responds to my texts by stating, "You're the one that did all the hard work." True, but, without them pushing me, I'd be a couch sitter without a career. I truly believe that. So, even though my parents weren't in Sunday School today, I felt led to share what was on my heart. I don't remember every word I said, but it went something like this:

I don't know that there is a number high enough for my Dad. I was born with Cerebral Palsy, and my Dad (and Mom, but today was Dad's day, so Mom, you're in there too! *wink*) taught me that while it is part of me, it's not all of me. He showed me that there isn't anything I can't do, and do well. In a world where our society would put limits on me, my Dad didn't. He knew what my dreams were, and helped me to achieve them. So, thanks to my Dad, I'm a teacher, live on my own, and do everything because of him (and my Mom, totally!). *grin*

It wasn't until I was done talking that I saw people wiping their eyes. The gal next to me patted my leg. I just grinned.

I went on to listen to others share about their Dad's and my heart leapt, as mine was the most positive one of the group. A lot of people were wounded by their Dad's. I am so sad for them.

As for me, I am still pretty new to the group, and my prayer tonight is that they won't view me as the gal with CP, but rather the gal who teaches kids. *giggle*

I went on to be a door greeter and a few Sunday School peeps told me they were blessed by what I shared. That made me smile. *grin*

And, of course, my favorite little guy hugged me after service. I wasn't in Precious Stones today, but it felt so good to see some of the young people from there. *grin* My little guy from VBS ran up and hugged me. Gosh, it's so fun to see him throughout the summer. Totally. *grin*

I've spent the rest of the day reading, napping, and watching Finding Nemo tonight. I love Summer.

Dad, Mom, thanks (again) for everything.
I love you more than you'll ever know.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME.

No comments: