Monday, October 22, 2018

A Little Bit of Heaven

I've heard it said over and over again how Camp Barnabas is a little bit of Heaven. I've always agreed with it, but this weekend it was repeatedly shown to me. I'm not sure it can be put into words, but I want to try. It's my second home for sure. *grin*

Okay, wait, the weekend began for me on Thursday night when a friend and I went to see Hillsong lead worship. It was an unforgettable night for me, and we were on the sixth row! Squeeeeaaaallllll! It filled me up in a way I didn't realize I needed to be. I connected with Him, that's the short of it all. I LOVED IT! *grin*

Friday morning I got up, took Jay the furry kid to his own little camp, and headed out for Barnabas. I knew some of that people that were coming, but not all. *grin* It made me smile. I knew it would be bittersweet though, as some of the leadership has been moved onto a new chapter, with His prompting. Several times I caught myself missing them for one reason or another. At the same time, He reminded me that change is good. Even though I fight change, when it's led by Him, it's always good. *grin*

I arrived at camp, had several hugs welcoming me back, and headed to my cabin. There were two cabin Moms assigned to my cabin, and it worked out great. We balanced each other out well and each brought our own version of love to the cabin. I LOVE having two cabin Moms because we can be split (one with campers in one spot & one in the other) and still be helping in our own way. *grin*

Camper Arrival, it is now the picture I think of when I think of arriving in Heaven. My name being called, people cheering, and then He runs up, wraps me in His arms, and it's a celebration! *grin* I think Camper Arrival is amazing, and I've seen it for 11 years. It is emotional, and happy, and sweet all at the same time. The kids who may not be cheered for outside of the gates are cheered for inside the gates. I love it!

I went to my cabin after one of my girls from Sunday School came to camp for the first time this weekend. Bella was nervous as could be, but adapted pretty quickly. She did stay by me a lot at first, but she got to know her missionary and they had a FANTASTIC time. I purposely removed myself from them at times, as I could see God was in the midst of their relationship. It was so fun to watch!

And Ronni was there. I had prayed all week that Ronni would be okay with my new friend being in the same cabin, and honestly she didn't get upset once with me. *grin* The advantage Ronni has is that EVERYONE knows her, so she doesn't NEED me, so it was easy to do my own thing. We did have moments where we were tight, but, more often than not she was off doing other things. That made me smile. I've known her since 2008, and she's grown up SO MUCH! It was tons of fun.

My favorite activity at Barn-a-breaks is the talent show. In a world outside the gates, "talent" by people with special needs isn't always appreciated. Inside the gates, you'd think the campers were winning oscars or something. *grin* You kinda have to be there to get it, but, it was such a fun evening. If the campers went up to sing, that was fun because all of us in the audience sang along. We had two people in wheelchairs dance, and my personal favorite was the boy that went up to say a joke, and all he could say was "knock knock" because he was laughing so hard at himself. *giggle* I took a picture of everyone that went up to perform. It was a night of laughter and love. It was also the night standing "O" made a comeback. I loved it. *grin* Also, the stage was back in the middle of the dining hall, which I LOVE. In that little world that we call the Barn-A-Bubble, it was a night that reminded me of the kindness and heart of the human spirit. It was unforgettable for me. *grin*

It was the first time in Barn-A-Break history that we had the Joy, Enthusiasm, Fun, and Fellowship (JEFF) contest. We have it during the Terms (weeks) of summer but we've never had it at the weekend events. I LOVED IT! Oh, and MY CABIN WON! *grin* Root Beer Floats for us! It was priceless.

Finally, we also had shirts for the event. Barn-A-Break shirts! *grin* The shirt I got is quite possibly the cutest Barnabas shirt I own. It was really neat to have new things (shirts, JEFF, etc) at Barn-A-Break. I tend to get sad when leadership changes, but He is continually reminding me that change is good. Very good. I will miss some of the people from time to time, but change is good. Very good.

The theme this weekend was "Family Reunion" and I can honestly say that it felt like that. I made new friends for sure, but the returners, well, made it SO SWEET! *grin* I remember in 2007 when I went there and how nervous I was, and now I can't imagine my life without those people in it. Truly.

One last thing I want to post because it mattered to me, came Saturday morning when I was talking to a staff member. She thanked me for taking time during the last Barn-A-Break to minister to her regarding her boyfriend situation. I don't remember what I said, but she did. Once she said it, I kinda remembered it, but not as clearly as she did. God used that moment to show me, you never know when you're making a difference in someone's life and being used by Him. Truly. *grin*

If you can, I encourage you to visit that little bubble of Heaven in the future. If you can't go there, look up Camp Barnabas on Youtube. You'll get to see a glimpse of it, but you won't fully get it unless you're there. *grin*

Family Reunion. Yep, that's what those people are to me.

Family.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME!

No comments: