Tuesday, June 26, 2007

An eye-opening moment

I went today to get a signature on a form for one of my files. Apparently the auditor is coming tomorrow, so we all had to have our ducks in a row, so to speak. So last week I was notified I had paperwork still unfinished. I didn't know that, since noone had mentioned anything since school go out, so I thought I was okay. So, okay, I dig deep into my paperwork, and get everything turned in on Monday, only to have our secretary notify me and tell me I was missing on form on one file. I was somewhat frustrated, and annoyed, but figured that if I wanted to keep my job, I would get the form signed.
So, today I called the parent of the student and asked if I could come by and get a signature. She said yes, that she would be around all afternoon. I told her I would be right there. Then I turned to our secretary and said, "Okay, where is this house?" She directed me to the street, telling me it was a dirt road. I asked her what subdivision it was in, and she said she just knew it was a dirt road.
So, I head out. It's raining, but I head out. The form must be turned in today. So as I'm driving, I'm singing along in the car, happy as can be, and I turn onto this road. Now, I know that most of my students come from poverty. However, there's a real difference between hearing stories about it, and seeing it in real life. (If you're from poverty, this story may bore ya, but bear with me) I was from a family that was middle class, so we never went without or anything like that.
I go up this hill, and look around. It's a trailer park. I can deal with that, I've been in many over the years of my teaching career. However, this was different. The trailer house was run down, and I can't believe anyone is allowed to live in it. And the yard had trash and junk in it, and I don't know how you are supposed to make it to the front door, as it was sort of a maze to get to the house itself. I looked around, lost. There were about 5 different trailer homes on the street, and I had no idea which one was it. It's not like they have numbers on the houses. I pulled out my cell phone, and called the house. And, of course, I got a busy signal. I sat there and prayed. I had to have this form signed, and I had no idea which house to go to. And honestly, I was wishing I had invited someone to go with me.
Fortunately, the parent came out, and I looked at her. It was the house I thought it was. And then my heart sank. My students live in there. I can't even imagine. Now, sharing all this makes me feel like a snob. I never had that sort of life, so I can't understand it. But, actually, I walked away simply feeling blessed.
God gave me more than I ever could have asked for. I had the ideal home. I had all my needs met. I had a very nice home growing up, and have a decent house now. I have enough money to pay bills. I am blessed.
I tell ya what though, today gave me a deeper heart for my students.
And I thank God for the lesson....
All because I needed a signature.
Go figure...

No comments: