Monday, June 18, 2007

Four Square

So, I get up everyday and to go to my "job". I find myself thinking, "They really pay me to do this gig?" When in reality, I love what I do. And, during the Summer they actually pay me MORE to do less. Sounds backwards, but hey, they come up with my salary, so I don't complain!

So, today was much like any Summer School day. The kids were there, I was there, and it was full of teachery moments of which I could stay up for hours sharing each and every one. However, since I'm not up to staying up late, and you don't want every little detail of my day, I will share the highlight of my day.

At 2:30 each day I go out to recess with the kids. Now, I don't have duty mind you, I spend their recess, also known as my "break" time, with the kids. I know, I know, it's crazy, but I love it. And, every chance I get, I play four square with them. I never had four square as a game when I was kid, so this game has become my new little hobby. Granted, against adults I would get my butt kicked, but against fourth graders, I can hold my own, even with the limp! ha!

So, today, we're in the middle of playing, and it looks as if it could storm any minute, and my little Austin is about to serve, and we're all laughing and joking, and I'm ready to hit the ball, and then it happened. A full-scale downpour! I started laughing as we all ran clear to the other playground so we could get in the building! It was the funniest thing! Kids were running as if their lives depended on it, and my little Austin turned to me, grinned, and threw me the ball. I thought for a moment about playing in the rain anyway, but remembered the student's parents probably wouldn't appreciate that! So, we ran, and entered the building laughing! We then promptly went to my room where I beat a few kids at Chinese Checkers. Relax, the day was over and I wasn't taking away from instructional time!

Who would've thought, four square was the highlight of my day!
And you know what, I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow so we can play again....
I'm such a kid....
And I get paid for this!
I have the best job on the planet!
Take care of you!

No comments: