Sunday, June 17, 2007

What I needed......

So, today has been different than I expected when I woke up today. I guess everyday is like that, but today seemed and felt different. I woke up, and for the first day in about 2 years I thought, "I don't want to go to church today." This never happens. I laid there and thought about sleeping until 10am. But, I didn't. I got up and got ready and went to church.

I've felt blah-ish the past few weeks, and I'm so involved in my church at the moment I can't just sit and soak. Which is fine, I find that I do better when I'm busy with the kids or the adults or whatever may be going on. But today I was tired. I got done with the kids and went out to the "adult" church and got to hear the guest minister. It was okay, but honestly, I wasn't in it. I was doodling on my paper, wondering about this afternoon... None of this is typical of me. I'm usually hanging on every word being said, wanting something to be imparted. And then, it happened...

He had an altar call. This is somewhat unusual in my church, as we don't do these very much, but one gal in particular went up and I knew I was supposed to pray for her. However, I wasn't moving a muscle until the preacher released us to do so. Which, he did. I went up and just silently prayed behind her. I waited to hear from God...and He gave me 3 words to say to her, "You're not alone." At the moment I said it, she broke. I wound up holding her and praying for her as she cried. It was a moment. A moment to go down in the journal kind of moment. I held her. I stood there and held her up. Which is saying alot because I'm a short little gal who can get knocked over by the wind. I held someone up today. Wow. Kinda neat. It was, be far, the highlight of my day...
And just think, I didn't want to go to church today...
Go figure...

1 comment:

Ms. H said...

That's way cool. Super spiffy cool in fact.

And somewhat coincidental....

I also thought about ditching church today, but didn't. I got there late, but I got there...and then found out that our pastor wasn't preaching. I thought about leaving before the sermon, but didn't want to go back out in the rain so soon.

Turns out, the guest preacher ended up reading my mail.

He talked about living a life where you leave nothing but a monument -- versus living a life where you leave a legacy. He also talked about how one can live that legacy -- once you open yourself to God, He'll put someone in your path that you can clearly see needs your help. Simply by getting involved in that person's life, you begin leaving that legacy.
Talk about affirmation, eh?

I've been feeling somewhat lost as to what my role will be in Buggy's life now that he's graduated -- but apparently I just need to hang out and see what's in store. I don't think it's the end of the road for us -- in fact, after today, I feel like it's just beginning.