Thursday, July 05, 2007

Friendship

The Fourth of July was great in my little corner of the world. I went to two Fourth of July gatherings, and enjoyed them both immensely. It was one of those days that I just sat back and realized how blessed I am to have so many friends in my life.

My first stop was to my church's Fourth Celebration. I would up sitting and talking to Regina the entire time. She's a neat lady that has a lot to offer those around her. We just sat under a tree and visited. Granted, we had others come over and join us, but it was mainly Regina and me.

At the end of my visit there, Kenny came over and sat down by me. Kenny is a big teddy bear. He and his wife hosted the shin-dig, and are two of the nicest people I've ever met. I told Kenny I was headed to another Fourth of July party where his brother would probably be, and he turned to me and said, "Who do you like better? Me or Mike?" I smiled and said, "You, of course!" So then he told me I could visit where I was going, but I was to remain in his homegroup. I smiled and told him, "You can't get rid of me that easily, Kenny. Don't worry!"

Then I smiled and left.

I came home long enough to freshen up a bit. It was hot here yesterday, so I wanted to freshen up at least a little bit. My Best Friend, Deb, had invited me to the Fourth of July celebration at my old church. I wanted to go because I miss my friends from there quite a bit.

So, we went and I had a great time. I think it's absolutely cool how I no longer go to church there, but fit in like I never left. And the kids have all grown so much! I wondered around being social at first, and landed myself on the lawn chair I had borrrowed from Deb. We watched everyone play volleyball, as well as Water Balloon Volleyball. It was a hoot!

And, true to form, I wound up playing "keep away" with a kid nearby. I always wind up playing with the kids at some point. It was a blast!

At one point, the kids were throwing water balloons at us, and I had one headed right for me! I balled up, ready to get hit. It bounced off me before it exploded! I didn't get wet at all! hehehe It was really cool.

The evening ended with a spectacular fireworks display. It was really cool to sit with friends and watch the sky light up. As I sat and watched, I was thankful for all the wonderful people I have in my life. While I'm not very close to those people, I know they care for me and welcome me with open arms anytime I join them.

For that I'm thankful. I think too many people get hurt or offended or whatever, and walk away without realizing what gifts are available if they just look for them. While I don't go to church there anymore, God has placed me in a different place where I'm supposed to be, I know I am still part of a family at my old church too.

Kinda cool if you ask me.
I may be single, but I'm not alone.
Thank God.

Later.

No comments: