Sunday, July 08, 2007

You know you're family when...

So, a few days ago I was getting ready for the big family shin-dig in Western Kansas. I had my itenerary all planned out, and was pumped! I mean, family reunions don't happen much in my family because we're so spread out and busy. So back in May when I received the news about this weekend I was thrilled! Pumped. Ecstatic.

So, I called the parental unit Thursday night to make sure we were cool for this weekend, only to find out I couldn't make it to their house using the road I wanted to take. I was bummed for many reasons when I figured this all out. But, hey, we all get curve balls from time to time, so I thought about it, and wound up calling my Aunt who lives nearby to see if I could ride when them.

Well, three phone calls later, I had a ride and a plan, and I was back in the game. I was excited, and nervous about the weekend. I'm not used to traveling with these people for long distances, and due to my picky eating habits, I was a little more nervous than usual.

As it turned out, it was all good. You know you're family when they take care of you and make sure you're alright. It took a total of 6 hours to get out there. I was tired of sitting, but glad to reach our destination.

As soon as we entered the place, I realized how much I had missed these people that I once grew up with but never see anymore. I have cousins that I used to play with when I was a kid, and they were older than me and single. Now they're all married and to see how big their kids are made me realize how fast life is going by. One of my Second Cousins, Adam, is now a young adult who is in college. I remember when he was born! Wow.

The highlight for me was when we entered for dinner. We had assigned seating and I was separate from my own brother, sister-in-law, and parents, so I was nervous before we entered. It was a huge event, as we were celebrating my aunt and uncle's anniversary, so many, many, many people were there.

So I entered the room and found my table. Sitting at my table were two of my second-cousins who I recognized but I don't know them very well. So, I was excited. Then I was very excited as their Mom and Dad sat down. B.L. is one of my favorite cousins in the family! When I was a kid, he was the one that treated me like a special little kid. He's always been a favorite. So, it was really fun. I enjoyed it. It was a short evening, as we were dismissed earlier than I expected, but it was fun. Enjoyable. Memorable.
After that we went back to the hotel and I wound up swimming with the kids. My second cousin, Josh, commented how I'm still considered a kid in the family. I always wind up playing with the kids, but that's sort of my favorite part of the whole thing too.

So, now I'm home, after another 6 hour drive.
And I'm wiped.
I think I'll return to my bum status on the couch again.
Later!

No comments: