Saturday, January 26, 2008

Shortone's Movie Reviews

So, I conquered the ADHD monster today and actually relaxed. I didn't grade one paper, correct one IEP, write one IEP, or even open the schoolbag. I sat on the couch the majority of the day. Total movie time today, about 8 hours. :-) Did I feel guilty? Yep, a bit. But, hey, there's always tomorrow, right?

So I thought I would share my movie reviews. I realize that I am a bit of an odd ball, trying to stay in the "PG" category, but there wasn't one movie today that I didn't like.

I started the day with "Saving Sarah Cain". It's a DVD flick that I rented and really enjoyed. It's about a single gal who takes in her Amish nieces and nephews after her sister passes away. It was an interesting flick, as Tess Harper plays the non-Amish sister trying to raise 5 Amish kids. It was heartwarming and touching on many many levels. Don't read into this, I don't want to become Amish by any stretch of the imagination, but the story line was great. My favorite part was when one of the kids mentioned how dishes weren't a chore, they were (basically) family time in her family. I loved that, as that's how I remember doing dishes at my parent's house, and expecially at my Grandparents house. My Grandparents never had a dishwasher, so I remember the dishwashing days at the Grandparents fondly.

The next feature of the day was "Derby Stallion." This was an inspirational flick starring "High School Musical's" Zach Efron. I must admit, I enjoyed it. It was sappy and incredibly predictable, but had a really good message. Last I saw it was on sale at Wal-Mart for $5. I am going to see if it's still $5, it would be great to add to the collection. Not to mention I could show it in my classroom. :-)

I want to go ahead and mention a movie I actually finished last night, but is noteworthy. I was walking the "wall" at our local video store, and noticed a movie titled "Paradise, Texas". It had a "family approved" sticker on it, and so I read the back. And, it wound up being a movie I loved, as it's about a kid who gets picked on for something he loves, and in the end gets rewarded for being different. Nice heart, great message...only bummer is that it had some choice words in it, so I can't show it in the classroom. It's worth a movie rental though if you're in the mood for motivational and sappy!

Finally, my favorite movie of the day was "August Rush". Bakerywoman came home today and we met her family in town to watch this movie at the dollar theatre. Now, I'll be the first to admit that you have to suspend A LOT of reality to enjoy this movie, but I loved it. I live in the real world 5 days a week, so it was cool to enjoy a movie that forces me to escape reality and enjoy a movie about a kid and music. Yeah, basically it was also my type of movie because I love kids, and music is very important to me. Anyway, August Rush is definately one I will buy when it is released on DVD.

So, those are what I saw today, and loved. By the way, after August Rush we came back here and I watched Saving Sarah Cain again with Bakerywoman. Yep, total couch time, about 8 hours. It was a good day.

Yes, tomorrow I will probably spend the bulk of the afternoon and evening on homework, but for tonight, I plan on reading and crashing.

Later!

1 comment:

Ms. H said...

Welcome to the land of the Sofa Spud!!!

WOOOP!!