Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Swimming Record!

Greetings!

So tonight I went swimming after work. I tried to go last night, but there wasn't a lane free. Apparently Monday nights are the adult swim class and toddlers swim class. I was bummed. So I went tonight.

Typically when I swim, I just swim. I start out counting how many laps I have completed, but my mind will wander to other things, and I quit counting. I just swim. I just swim for a specific amount of time. There's a clock on the wall, and I just go by that.

And, I will be really honest from about September through December I rarely went swimming. I was so busy between meetings and tutoring and church stuff that I quit going.

And ya know what happened? My left leg muscles atrophied, and walking became more a challenge than it had in a long time. I hated that feeling. And it doesn't help that in winter my leg tenses up, and sometimes hurts, making my walk look even more goofy than usual. I was feeling incredibly self concious, which isn't like me.

So, after the conference in December, I knew it was time to swim again. And, I must say, I enjoy it. Deep down inside I really am an athlete. Not professional, but I'm the one who enjoys swimming and basketball, and enjoy the wind pants and sweatshirt attire that goes with it. (I've often wondered how I would have made it back in the days when dresses were the "norm". That's just not me!)

So, back to tonight. I noticed on the wall that it gives the breakdown of how many laps it takes to swim one mile. 1 Lap=down the length of the pool and back once. It takes 36 laps in the pool to swim a mile. And I decided that I wanted to know how far I could swim in 30 minutes.

I swam 12 laps!

So, I swam one-third of a mile!

Now I have a record to beat! And I feel good!

Well, okay, so I'm not a professional athlete.

But tonight was fun!

I'll keep ya posted on future swimming totals!

Now I'm gonna logoff and watch the all-new House that's on!

Later!

1 comment:

Ms. H said...

Go you!! Good job on the swimming. You rock!

I haven't been working out lately either...and my lower back was NOT happy. So I admitted I've GOT to get back to the gym.
Like yesterday.