Thursday, October 28, 2010

Application of Knowledge *grin*

Today I was walking by a Kindergarten Room that has a couple tough students in it. They are not labeled Special Education Students, but they are on behavior plans. I walked by yesterday and got to help, and today I was invited to help again. Yesterday I helped with a little girl, and today I helped a little boy. And honestly, I felt like I was back at camp both times.

Yesterday as I turned the corner, the girl was rolling around on the floor, refusing to get up. I signed to the teacher at the time and asked if she wanted help. She nodded "Yes." I knelt down, and started signing and voicing what I was signing at the same time. The kid just looked at me for a moment. I used some sort of verbage (can't really remember what I said in words) and she got up and walked. I signed to her the whole time we walked. *grin* It was so cool!

Today I turned the same corner and the teacher invited me to help. She said the boy (Whom I had a never met before, even though I had heard stories.) refused to get out of his seat and go with her. She followed with saying he is a biter, kicker, etc. I looked at her and said, "I'll do it."

As I approached the kid, I prayed in my head, and honestly felt like I was at camp. Out at camp we have to get kids to move from one place to another, especially when they don't want to do so, all the time. And, out at camp, we don't carry them out. They walk.

I approached the kid and the Lord gave me peace, and I honestly forgot he was a biter, kicker, etc. I did the same thing I did yesterday. I signed and voiced what I was saying at the same time. The kid had been crying, and looked tired. At first he didn't get up. I wasn't going to give up though, and at that moment I felt like I do out at camp. Sometimes you have to change the logic around so it's the kid's idea. I honestly don't remember what I said and voiced, but the cool part is that he stood up and walked out of the room with me! That's right, he wasn't carried, he WALKED! And just like out at camp when we finally get a kid from a cabin to the dining hall, I felt like God had used me in a HIUGE way!!! I wanted to do a happy dance. I didn't, but boy did I want to!!!

All night I have pondered the whole thing. It's God. It's all God, using me to reach His kids, which is what I pray every morning as I get ready for school. I also think that the signing is less intrusive. It's like it gives the kid a way out, without feeling like he's lost the battle. I'm not sure, either way I pray it continues.

Who knew that my camp knowledge would help me at school? Usually it's the other way around!

God is so cool like that! He can use anyone at any time.

I'm just glad He chose me.

*grin*

Life.
Is.
GREAT.

No comments: