Thursday, December 09, 2010

Sap

When I was in college, I was a resident assistant in one of the dorms. I loved it. Part of my job at that time was to build community within my floor of 18 girls. Over the course of three years, I earned the nickname "Queen Sap" because I LOVE sappy stuff. Any movie or TV show that has a sentimental moment I always say "AWWWWW". I did it then, and still do it today. Today when I checked my project page on donorschoose.org, I was in a meeting so I couldn't go "AWWWWWWWW" but I fought back tears and definitely said it in my head.

On the site people can donate to my school project that I've posted on donorschoose.org. I am hoping to get a projector, and eventually a SmartBoard, for my classroom. Well, on the site people can comment as to why they donated to my project. (And you should know that I didn't put that function in there, it's an automatic thing the page asks for.)

So you can imagine how deeply I was touched when I read this:
"I gave to this project because Mrs. S. does so much for my son. She is the reason he LOVES to read. Thank you Mrs. S. "

This was the SECOND best letter I have ever received in my teaching career. (The first place letter goes to a student I had about 6 years ago that wrote me a thank you note that said, "I will never forget you, because you were the one that taught me how to read.)

Here's the thing though, I don't do my job for kudos or anything like that. I do it because I care for the little people. And it's not that I didn't think that the family of today's comment didn't like me, because I TOTALLY know how supportive they are of me and what I'm doing with their son.

But sometimes God gives us kudos through people, just to remind us we're doing exactly what we're created to do.

And for me, today was my best day here in L.S. because I know I'm in the right place doing what I'm created to do!

Eleven years later, I'm still sappy. Go figure. *grin*

*grin*
LIfe.
Is.
AWESOME!

No comments: