Thursday, January 20, 2011

It's Just a Tree

I took my tree down today. It has been a project that I have been avoiding for weeks. Christmas has been over for almost a month, and yet I liked having the tree here in my living room. It was cheery and reminded me of Christmas, a season of Love and Giving, so I didn't want to put it up.

So I began my day by relaxing, but I kept looking at the tree. I knew today was the day to take it down. I just didn't want to do it.

I watched TV, played video games, surfed the web, and took Jay out in the snow. When I was out in the snow I knew I was avoiding taking down the tree. So, we came in, I looked at Jay, and took it down.

While I was taking it down, I had three friends text me during that time. That made it a little more fun. Not a whole lot, but it broke up the feeling of sadness that went with taking the tree down.

Now it's put away and I keep looking at the area where the tree was at. It seems so empty.

It has made me think about people without Christ. Or those claiming to be with Christ, but struggling to live out the life we're called to live this side of heaven. I mean, a tree is just a tree. But, if you fill it with decorations from loved ones, it becomes something special. Just as accepting Christ makes life something special.

Maybe I'm being too deep here. That's always possible.

But, if it had been a tree that wasn't decorated, I wouldn't have kept it up so long.

I have also had the thought that if it weren't for Christ in my life, I wouldn't be the same person I am today.

So, I guess it was just a tree...it just seemed like more than that to me.

*grin*
Life.
Is.
GREAT.

No comments: