Friday, February 04, 2011

THE LESSON

I am incredibly tired tonight, as it was quite a day, but I wanted to post something tonight. I recently received a neat email from someone and I have been pondering it. It was written by a 90 year old gal, Regina Brett. The email was actually an excerpt from her column. The column was titled "45 Life Lessons." While all of the 45 lessons were good, one really caught my eye. It caught my eye because it was something I thought to myself at the end of the Beech Road Experience. It was REALLY cool confirmation for me that I am doing exactly what I should be doing. Not that doubt is there, I know that I'm where I'm supposed to be. Occasionally, God just gives us something that quietly says "That's my girl!"

The Lesson?

"Frame every so called disaster with these words 'In five years, will this really matter?"

I thought that as I was moving out of Beech Road. That was tough to say the day I held Jennie the dog and fought tears, but in my head, I can honestly say it was there. Today, almost 2 years out of it, it is true.

The things that I thought were really serious at the time, honestly weren't. Hurtful, yes, but life goes on.

Here I am almost 2 years out of it, a better person than I was before I walked through it. As you can tell, I'm still processing it (even today!), but I am glad I walked through it. Today I treat others differently because of it. I love better. I let things go faster. And the things that seem huge, I think "In five years will this matter." Okay, honestly, I now think, "Okay, in one year will this matter?" Often I think that and stop and pray and tell God, "Nope, not even in a year will this matter."

I hear myself laughing again. I mean really laughing.
I joke with my students. Really joke and have fun.
And I don't let things hold me up, because life's too short to be stuck.

Within that, I know that God is proud of me.

*grin*
Great lesson, huh?

Life.
Is.
AMAZING!!!

No comments: