Saturday, January 07, 2012

CARDS

Today I went to support a friend who recently lost her Mom. While her Mom is in Heaven now, that still leaves a daughter that is missing her Mom, and earlier in the week I sent my friend a card. I didn't think too much of it, I went to the store and picked out one of my favorite cards and sent it to her.

Today after the funeral, I went up to her to talk to her, and I asked her if she needed anything. She said, "Keep the cards coming." I have pondered that statement a lot today.

I've always been one to send cards. I mean real cards. Not just an email. Not just a FB message. A real card.

I like cards. You know, the old-fashioned pen & paper kind of cards. I admit I have a stash of them in a box, and send them to people when I can. In fact, on Mondays I participate in K-Love's MAKE A DIFFERENCE MONDAY and send a card a week to someone I'm thinking about or has done something cool at work.

The thing is, until today, I really hadn't had any feedback about what a difference it made. I kept doing it though because it felt right though. Today though, I realized that a card CAN really make a difference.

I was reminded of a story my Dad told me about when my Grandmother was in the hospital at one point. She kept getting "get well" cards, and my Dad was convinced that the cards really did help her get well! I believe that. (And of course, people were probably praying for her too! *grin*) I think that's cool.

At any rate, I plan on sending my friend a few more cards over the next several months as she walks through this season of her life. Her Mom was dear to her, so I can imagine that a card will help her through this season.

It's just a card, I know. At the same time, my friend knows the love behind it. That's pretty cool to me.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
GREAT!!!

No comments: