Wednesday, February 15, 2012

TUTORING FUN!!! *grin*

The highlight of my day today was tutoring a student after school. I tutor this young person every Wednesday, and I REALLY look forward to it because he's a cool little dude. Last week we started working on how to turn mixed numbers into improper fractions and vice versa.

He got the mixed numbers into improper fractions part really fast. Then I switched to improper fractions to mixed numbers and that made his brain hurt last week. I felt for him. I felt like I went a step too far last week, but he gave me his best effort which is what made me *grin* ear-to-ear.

Today he came in and I was going to try the improper fractions to mixed numbers again. I thought it would take all hour. I was WRONG. In five problems, he had it. In fact, after the third he said, "Can I try it without the examples up there?" *grin* I was so excited for him!

Since he had it, we moved into division. I drew a problem and said, "Have you done a problem like this before?"

He just looked at it.

I wondered what was going on in that little mind, and was about to give him a way out.

Then he said something that broke my heart.

He said, "Yeah, but I get them all wrong."

I knew what we were going to do next then!!!

Sure enough, about twelve problems later, he had it! Well, he had basic division down. Next week we'll move up to more digits in each problem. The important thing is that he understands the process of it! I was SO PROUD OF HIM!

I told him so too.

That's what I call a very successful day!

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
GREAT!!!

No comments: