Monday, August 27, 2012

Physical Therapy with Z.!

This morning I got up EARLY and started my day at Physical Therapy. I went two weeks without P.T. and have now had it twice in less than one week. *grin* Last week I was with Woody and today I was with Z., and it was fun to be with him again.

We started out with the bands. I now have the black bands, which are A LOT tighter, and I like that. I am now working on balance and follow-through in my steps more than pointing toes outward, since the bands do that for me. I REALLY like the new bands.

He gave me a new obstacle course. It was a little easier, as far as height to the steps, but that was because of the new bands. The new bands are going to force my legs to build up some muscle to move more. I like that too. I have had the same bands for 5 months, so these bands are going to really help me.

I did well on the obstacle course, but we only did it a few times. Which, now that I think about it, is rare. But, it gave us time to try something new.

I took my cane. I'm only using the cane around here and at therapy. I'll be transparent and say I walk better with the cane, but I don't want to use it all the time, and that's fine. Woody said that the longer I work with it, the less I'll need it and eventually I won't need it at all. *grin* Talk about motivation right there, my friends! *grin*

Z. said we were going to walk. I was HAPPY to hear that, as that's my goal. Z. doesn't work with me on the walking like Woody does, so it was nice to have Z. walk with me. We did the loop, and then he said we were going outside. I laughed and said, "Oh, we're going on a field trip!" He laughed.

Our field trip consisted of walking in the parking lot. Don't worry, we walked on the side no one parks on. *grin* This turned out to be a blessing in a way he doesn't even know!

See, every Saturday when I go to FCF, I cut across a parking lot to get there. And, there are CURBS and parking stumps to cross. And, I honestly get nervous that I'll fall. *grin* Guess what we worked on? *grin* IT WAS AWESOME!

I didn't tell him about my nervousness or anything, we just kind of did our own little obstacle course with the curbs and parking stumps. I LOVED the balance training though! I can't tell you what it did for me!

Perhaps you're laughing, thinking, seriously, a step? For me, steps have not always been my favorite things. From curbs to stumps to everything in between. For me, it has ALWAYS required thought and balance planning. I'm not complaining, I'm just being transparent. So, today was REALLY cool. (I'm not even going to get into the uneven surfaces when I walk. Thinking to walk can be tiring sometimes, believe it or not!) *grin*

We went in and did a few other things, but my favorite part of today was the field trip outside with the cane. I never realized, until I entered this season of Physical Therapy, how much I already think about my walking. Now, I'm training my brain to think differently, and the body to adjust to the new way of walking.

Woody said Friday that it's basically reprogramming the brain. I TOTALLY agree with that statement. Kinda cool, if you ask me. *grin*

LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME.

No comments: