Sunday, November 18, 2012

#18 My Parental Unit

Tonight I am thankful for my Mom and Dad. Yes, they're still married. I'm blessed for that statement alone. However, there's more to this story. *grin*

If you're a loyal reader of the blog, you've heard me say it about a million times, I have a really good parental unit. They're not perfect, but then again, show me a set of parents who are perfect. Newsflash, there is not a set that is perfect. *grin*

However, my parental unit have the concept of UNCONDITIONAL LOVE down to an art form.

It doesn't matter what I have done, or will do, they will always love me. I'm confident in that statement in a way that I can barely put into words. I've been loved VERY well throughout my life by two amazing people that God gave me as parents. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for them.

Due to the fact I'm a teacher, I have seen what it TRULY takes to be a good parent. Over my fourteen years of experience I've seen a little bit of everything when it comes to the parental arena. And, it never fails, every year I think, "I'm really glad I had my parents when I was growing up."

They loved me enough to set boundaries.
They knew how to PARENT me, not be my friend.
They made me do my homework. Period. End of that discussion.
When the call came from school, I had consequences at home too.
My best was what they expected from me.
If I messed up at home, there were consequences that I learned from and did not repeat that behavior again. EVER.
Even when we were low on money, we never went without.
We never had drama in the home. Still don't.
We actually enjoyed spending time together.
They don't understand the whole IHOP-KC thing, but support me in it wholeheartedly.
In the moments when I struggle, they are always there for me.

The list could go on and on, but I'm going to stop there.

I'm blessed to have the parental unit that I do. While they're not perfect, I wouldn't trade them for all the money in the world. *grin*

LIFE.
IS.
GOOD!!!

No comments: