Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Musical Montages

Do you like music? I mean, do you REALLY like music?

For as long as I can remember, I have LOVED music. In fact, looking back (which of course is always 20/20) I wish I had taken the time to truly learn an instrument fully. I can play bongos, but don't have opportunities now to do so, and truly miss it. (The Lord taught me that one, and while I'm not the best, I do enjoy it!) I wonder sometimes if I had learned piano more (not that the parents didn't try, I just didn't have a desire at that time) or another instrument so that I could enjoy making music today with friends. I can state that the times I've made music on various worship teams I have LOVED IT. Not because of what you might think...I just REALLY like making music with friends. I can recall certain sets where I really encountered the Lord just by playing bongos. Those were some sweet times. Chapters in my life like that have been precious to me.

I'm not sure if it's my nearing 40th birthday or what, but I've been pondering a lot lately. (Can you tell? I had two posts yesterday!)

Life goes in seasons, or as I like to call them "Chapters." Yes, I love to read too, so the analogy fits. *grin*

I can look back on different chapters and can name certain songs that have resounded within my spirit. I know you've had songs like that because throughout our lives, we have all had those favorites. For me, my adult life has consisted of songs that have carried me in the happy, sad, and everything in-between. *grin* Words cannot express how happy I am that He gave us music.

Did you know that music enjoyment & learning is in a separate part of the brain from a lot of other things you do? (Just googled it, and there's a lot of technical jargon I don't wanna include here, just roll with me, k?) I know that I can learn songs easier than I can learn anything else. I can listen to a song on the radio without even paying any attention to it, and later sing it without realizing I know it. It has helped me learn other things too! In fact, it was instrumental in Gabby Giffords learning to do things after she was shot in the brain. TRUE fact! *grin*

If you've followed the blog for any period of time, you know that from time to time I post lyrics that fit that chapter of my life. Not always, of course, but honestly this blog is more for me than for you. (You just get the perk of reading along for free! *grin*) This blog is (for me) a journal of sorts. Sometimes a song is to help pull me through the chapter I'm living at the time, and sometimes to reflect upon a chapter before. Most of the time it's simply reminders of all He is done in me and through me throughout each chapter. *grin*

If I went through the different chapters, I could (but won't) put together a montage of sorts to each chapter. I think that's cool, but then again I LOVE music. *grin*

The current song that the Lord is using to teach me with is SOVEREIGN by Chris Tomlin. I have a feeling it's about to change, as I just picked up the new Passion, LET THE FUTURE BEGIN CD that has wrecked me just as the most recent Tomlin CD did. That's part of why I want to post this one now. *grin* There's a new TRUST song on the new Passion CD that has gripped me. *grin*

So, the reason SOVEREIGN resounds within me is because He is REALLY speaking to me about TRUST this year. Over and over again we keep talking about me trusting Him with me in my current chapter of life, and the fact He knows what's to come. Up until yesterday, I had SOVEREIGN on repeat. (One perk of this chapter of singleness, I can play a song to death and no one cares! *grin*) It's as if He wrote it just for me, but I know I'm not the only one who struggles with trusting Him on some level.

That's another reason why I want to share this with you. Perhaps you need it tonight too. It's off the BURNING LIGHTS CD by Chris Tomlin. I am going to type out the words, partly because I want it to minister to you, and partly because I want to remember this years from now. *grin*

SOVEREIGN by Chris Tomlin

Sovereign in the mountain air
Sovereign on the ocean floor
With me in the calm
With me in the storm

Sovereign in my greatest joy
Sovereign in my deepest cry
With me in the dark
With me in the dawn

In Your everlasting arms
All the pieces of my life
From beginning to the end
I will trust You
In Your never ending love
You work everything for good
God, whatever comes my way
I will trust You

All my hopes
All I need
Held in Your Hands
All my life
All of me
Held in Your hands
All my fears
All my dreams
Held in Your hands

I HIGHLY recommend this album to anyone walking with the Lord. This song works for those young, old, and (like me) somewhere in-between. *grin*

Music, it's definitely a gift to me from Him.

AWESOME.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
GREAT!!!

No comments: