Monday, May 27, 2013

BOOT CAMP ****1/2

Tonight I finished my first book for the Summer Break. I read Boot Camp by Todd Strasser. I came across this book in a book order a few months ago, and bought it with points. I had never heard of the book or the author, but the story summary intrigued me.

Garrett, the main character, is a teen who is sent to Lake Harmony due to behavior issues. The rules at Camp Harmony are simple: you cannot stand, sit, or talk without permission. The book is Garrett's experience at Camp Harmony.

I'll admit, I enjoyed the book, in a weird kind of way. I think a lot about kids who struggle and what we can do to help them. Camp Harmony, in my opinion, IS NOT the solution, but it definitely made me think a lot about what can be done to help them. I don't have the answers, just a lot of thoughts running around in my head. *grin*

The Afterward shared that there are camps such as Camp Harmony throughout the world. That broke my heart. However, this story wasn't sad from start to finish, so I don't want to mislead anyone.

Garrett is a good kid, who is making bad choices and his parents simply don't know what to do with him. So they send him to Camp Harmony. It seems like a good idea. I will admit the story was one that kept me engaged and even when I wasn't reading, I was wondering what was going to happen next in the story.

Overall, I give it 4 and 1/2 stars.

I liked it, and recommend that you check it out.

As for me, I'm starting a new book now. Decisions, decisions... *grin*

LIFE.
IS.
GREAT...ON SUMMER BREAK!!! *grin*

No comments: