Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Social Media Ponderings

I've been debating tonight about what to write. Do I share another camp story, or do I share about my week this week? I haven't quite landed anywhere, so this will be an interesting post. *grin*

I watched a five minute video a little while ago on the impact of social media on our society. It has had me pondering. As a single adult, that social media has helped me stay in touch with people that I moved away from and feel as if I'm still a part of their lives. In that aspect, it's been AWESOME. I'm not sure how well this move would have been in 2009 if I hadn't had Social Media. In a way that is sad and cool all that the same time.

On the other hand, I remember being at camp. For almost a whole week, teens were told to put their phones away to serve campers. As an adult, I could keep mine, but had to be respectful with it. In other words, I kept it on airplane mode, and mainly used it for pictures. Sure, here and there I texted or checked media, but overall, I did okay.

After seeing the video though, it really challenged me.

How much time am I on my phone when I could be doing a gazillion other things? How social is social media really?

I don't have any answers, I've just started this pondering stuff on Social Media tonight.

I do know though, that I want to be intentional with those I'm around, and not be focused on my phone as much.

So much of life is about balance. I think I need to do some assessment of my level of balance with my electronic devices. Not meaning I need to get rid of it all together, but think about when to use it and when to focus on the here and now.

I will keep ya posted.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
GOOD.

No comments: