Friday, May 29, 2015

A Lesson In Perseverance *grin*

My favorite project of the year (and I'm not being sarcastic here, I really do love it) is the end-of-year slideshow. For those of you new to my little corner of the world this year, I am in charge of the slideshow that is played at our assembly on the last day of school. *grin* It is one of the many highlights of the year in the building I teach in. It's amazing.

Throughout the school year, I walk around and take pictures of the kids. Before school, in car rider duty, and in our big events like school carnival and the back to school picnic I take pics. I take hundreds of photos and the last quarter of the year I organize them, add music, and make a slideshow. The kids know I am the one that is in charge of it, so I am quite popular when the camera comes out! *grin*

So, I worked on it for about 6 weeks prior to the last day of school. I'll admit it, part of me is a perfectionist, and I like it "just right" for the last day of school. I would estimate that 30 hours went into the slideshow up until the night before the assembly. I had it just like I wanted it. I added music, clicked save, and took Jay out. I came in to see how it looked, and it wouldn't load. I re-started the computer thinking that would work. At that point, I had a message that said, "file is now corrupt." I sat there and my thought bubble was like, "no, no, no, no, no!!!!!" I tried about 3 more times, and it was clear I couldn't open it up.

I stopped, paused, and prayed.

I knew that if I explained it to my principal (and showed her the evidence) she'd give me grace. It wasn't my fault.

However, I thought of the kids and how much they look forward to the slideshow each year.

And at 10:30-ish the night before the assembly, I started ALL OVER AGAIN.

I resigned myself to the fact it wouldn't be as cool as the first one, but I could still get to my photos, so I knew I could do it. I was up until 2am working on it, and more than once the thought of, "I wonder how many people would have done it again after the first one crashed?" Truthfully, I could see most of my fellow staff members pulling it off. I also knew this could be a great story for the students in the fall when I hear the words, "I don't want to do that assignment." After all, God doesn't waste time.

I'm still tired, and imagine tomorrow I'll feel fine.

In case you're wondering, the slideshow was a hit and I honestly think it was better than the first one I made because I added some pics I didn't initially put in it. I didn't let down the kids, and I did my best in the time frame I had. I was successful in doing it.

I've heard many kids say, "I don't want to work hard, I just want to play". I'm hoping that this little story can plant a seed in some kids who are avoiding the hard work. I realize perspective changes as a person matures, but I believe He will use this to blessed kids in a special way because I stayed up so late to do what was right for them.

As for me, I'm glad school is out and break is upon us. I'm actually finding it hard to just sit.

That's okay, my house is looking better than it has since school started. *grin*

As for the 2015-2016 slideshow, that will begin in 82 days. I'm not even kidding on that. *grin*

I love my job. For real.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME!

No comments: