Thursday, May 28, 2015

Mind Blown! *grin*

It's my first day of Summer Break and I have spent the morning cuddling with the sweetest dog on the planet. The past three days have been a blur, with my "to do" list quite long. However, the list is completed, and I've taken a morning to rest. Now I want to share about a moment yesterday that blew me away.

Yesterday was our last day of school. I will share in the near future about my slideshow challenges, because that was my biggest project that I worked on the last 6 weeks. *grin* The last day of school in our building is really cool because we have an assembly with awards and the slideshow. After that, there are various activities in the classrooms. I don't have students that day, so I work on various other projects. This year, that included moving classrooms again. I will state that I moved back to a room I was in 3 years ago. *grin* I was fine with it though, and they have promised me that I won't move next year. *grin*

Of course, the last day meant saying, "Good-bye" to some students, and "See ya later" to others. Since I teach Special Education, I get to keep some of the students I had. *grin* I had a parent of one of my students text me while I was driving to work. I waited to read them until I got to work (it can ALWAYS wait, not worth reading and driving), and it stated that there was a gift she wanted to give me because the young man didn't want to give it to me in person. I told her when I was available, and it was set for after school.

After school, I met her in the office, and there was a board with the words "I like you" on it. For those of you new to my world, I say, "I like you" to students as they leave my room each time. It comes from a website where a little guy states, "I almost love you, but I like you." Let's be real, if I said, "I love you" to the kids, that would be awkward for both of us. However, "I like you" fits. Sometimes my students don't make the best decisions, and they wear me out to the point I stop and take a deep breath before speaking to them. However, that does not change whether I like them or not. I may not like their choices all the time, but it doesn't change how I feel about them as a human being. EVER. *grin*

In addition to that, so many of my students struggle with self esteem and how they fit into the whole school community. I make a point to speak into their lives so that they know there is an adult who sees them beyond their mistakes, and also cheers them on in their successes. *grin*

So, I have a student who struggles with making good choices. Since Kindergarten he has struggled with them, but honestly, I wanted him in my classroom. He told his Mom after I told him that, after I told him I wanted him in my class. That clearly impacted him. On a daily basis, he challenged me in ways that wore me out. At the same time, there were days that he would do something that made me proud of him. For example, a student was upset one day, and he took time to encourage him without being prompted. Just like out at camp, I clung to those moments in the times when I had to take a deep breath (and said a silent prayer in my head) before confronting his choice that wasn't what was expected in the classroom.

I can't recall him saying, "I like you" to me, but I said it often. I also often had the thought, "his behavior isn't changing, am I doing enough for this kid?" Of course, that's an attack from the enemy, but when behaviors don't change, it's a valid thought. He knew what to say to me when I spoke to him before the day began, but couldn't follow through with what he told me. It broke my heart, and made me wonder how to reach him so the behaviors wouldn't get in the way of his learning.

So yesterday, when his Mom met me in the office and gave me the sign that says, "I like you" that that young man had made, I smiled. I had a huge thought, "Just when I wonder if I'm reaching a student, they really are listening and I am making a difference." *grin*

Currently it's sitting in sight of where I sit now on my couch. I will need to find the perfect place for it, but for now, it's perfect. It's going to be a constant reminder for me not to give up on a student. I haven't given up on a kid yet, but I believe that sometimes God gives us little gifts to remind us that we're doing is working.

Thank You, God.

What an amazing way to start Summer Break.

Coming up next, a post on the parent that cried when I took a picture with her child on the last day of school. Also, the slideshow that almost didn't happen. *grin*

I believe yesterday He was reminding me that what I'm doing is making a difference.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME!!!

No comments: