Thursday, June 18, 2015

Social Media, Term 1, 2015

One of the things from Term 1 at Camp Barnabas that I absolutely loved, was the unexpected call from Him to not use social media during my time there. I don't typically spend much time on social media while I'm out there anyway because we're so busy doing other activities. *grin* At the same time, I typically do a post at the end of each day to share what's happening in my little corner of the world, once I'm back in the room I sleep in. The teens that come are all asked to give up their phones for the week, but as adults we are not because of responsibilities at home that require us to need a phone anytime. So, outside of using the phone for a camera, I had the phone on airplane mode the majority of the week.

In the beginning, I thought it would be hard. I did one last post stating I was at camp, but wouldn't be online that week, and said a silent prayer. Honestly, I loved it. In pondering it since I returned, I find myself blessed to have grown up in a generation BEFORE cell phones and social media. Instead of living on a phone, I actually talked to people, built relationships, and was more outwardly focused.

I found myself talking to people, getting to know more and more about them, and rarely got the phone out. On Day #4 a dance party broke out during Breakfast, and I sang in my chair, and watched. At lunch, I noticed people recording (year-round staffers allowed to have phones, and other cabin parents) the dance party instead of participating. On Parent Arrival Day, I got up and danced with our girls. I will admit, the previous two dance parties, I was pondering how much of my life I've stopped to record instead of experiencing it. When I die, I won't be able to take my phone with me, so I need to EXPERIENCE life day-to-day.

Since I've returned from camp, I've noticed that I'm online less, and building relationships more. I also find myself reading more, cuddling more with the four-legged dog named Jay, and praying more. *grin*

I also know that since I've stepped back from Social Media more, I've been happier.

I think I'm going to remember this experience in days and weeks to come, as I get to know more people around me instead of looking at my phone. *grin*

I like that.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME.

No comments: