Sunday, December 20, 2015

Door Greeting Day #1

This afternoon I have pondered how much fun I had today at church. I find it amazing how BIG my church is, population-wise, yet how many people I know the longer I go there. I will admit, this softens my heart and makes me smile. *grin* I went to first service and wound up sitting with some friends from work. That was amazingly cool! *grin* I didn't even know I was going to see them, and wound up sitting by them. How cool is that? *grin*

Next up, I went to be a door greeter. I'll admit, I was slightly nervous, as it was a first time for all of us in the new building, but I knew it was going to be a good thing. As it turns out, I was right. After my friends had their name tags and went on to their assigned places, I waited while they figured out where to put me. I was fine with that. Honestly, I knew He would put me where I was supposed to be, so waiting was fine.

They didn't have a name tag for me, so I was "Shelly" today. *giggle*

It was somewhat ironic that He put me at the New Here table. I'm NEW. I don't know a whole, whole lot about the church yet, but since somewhat at a station nearby was an experienced greeter, they decided it was okay to put me there. *grin*

So, one service let out and people started arriving for the next one. Oh my gosh it was so much fun, as MANY people from the school I teach at apparently go there. I didn't know that! *giggle* It was a blast making the kids and families smile and laugh as they entered or left the building.

The highlight for me was when I saw one of the little boys from one of our special programs at school. When he saw me, he started running, so I got down on my knees to hug him so he didn't knock me over! We had a mutual excitement for seeing each other. That little boy can make anyone smile. Seriously. *grin* I asked him if he was there to learn about Jesus. He said, "No." I laughed. Such a sweetheart, and I was so blessed by that kid. I introduced myself to his Dad, and then they went on their way. It was great.

At the end of service, we're supposed to say "goodbye" to people too. I loved that too. Telling people good-bye and "Merry Christmas" was a lot of fun. I even got to say good-bye to the young boy I hugged earlier. It was priceless.

As I was about to leave, the leader over the greeters today said they had several complaints about me today. I looked at him, knowing that couldn't be right, and he said that wasn't really the case. He said that MANY people complimented how well I had done to them. *grin* I told them it was Him, not me, and honestly it helped that I saw several of the students that attend my school. They said they had heard that, and that those families were thankful for me being there. The leader also said that would be my spot every third Sunday! I love this, as I'm at home and finding my place within this huge family of believers. *grin* I still have things to learn there, but I feel blessed to be there. Totally.

Today was just day #1, I'm sure there will be plenty of stories in the months to come. For tonight, I feel blessed.

TOTALLY.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME.

No comments: