Friday, January 06, 2017

It's Just a Card.... *grin*

Today in class, I kept busy with the students with our first day back from a Snow Day. It was honestly good to be back with the students, and the one that called me out on Wednesday when I said I wanted a Snow Day when he said, "I thought you liked being with us." *grin* That kid taught me a lot earlier this week. However, that's for a different post.

Today something happened that I didn't expect, but it caught my heart in a HUGE way.

I have a student struggling behaviorally. I'm trying to get to the bottom of everything, and I'm not getting anywhere. So, when he came in for his minutes today, I wasn't sure how it was going to go. Behaviorally, he actually did well for me. He even got his work done. What captured my heart was our conversation while he was in my room.

I asked him twice if he was okay. He said he was okay, but his non-verbal language showed differently. I didn't have a ton of time to play therapist though with the testing and other things that I needed to get done today. That being said, we did have a short chat, which impacted me more than I thought it would.

See, over break, I send everyone Thank You Cards for the gifts they gave me for Christmas. This young man gave me Pepsi, with his own money I'm sure. I sent him a card over the break. Today he mentioned it.

Honestly, I remember writing the card, but I sent them and forgot about it. He did not.

He brought up the card in the chat and let me know how much it meant to him. He didn't say those words, he used his own language, but it all meant that the card meant something to him. Then he said, "It was just Pepsi, was it really that big of a deal?" I simply stated that it doesn't take a lot to make me happy. *grin* He said he would get me more Pepsi, but I told him it wasn't necessary.

My point, though, is that that little card impacted him.

I've been doing cards for years, and I REALLY enjoy doing cards. I have a cabinet full of cards for different reasons. Honestly, I send them mostly to adults. Today reminded me that kids need encouragement too. Even in the smallest ways. *grin* Neat lesson going into the weekend.

Totally.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
GOOD.

No comments: