Friday, August 18, 2017

Encouragement 101

One of my favorite things this side of Heaven is hearing people encourage one another. I can do it naturally, but the older I get, the more I realize that not everyone has that gift. I am always surprised when some people don't naturally go to encouragement. For some people, it's like focusing on the negative is easier. That makes me sad. However, something I encountered this week encouraged ME in the most unexpected way.

The first few weeks of August are FULL of meetings prior to student arrival. I've been in this district long enough now that I know how things work at this point. That being said, some things still catch me unexpectedly, and it makes me smile. *grin*

For example, one morning we had a staff activity where we all had a chance to drive a school bus. We didn't leave the parking lot, don't worry, but it was SO COOL! I am not wanting to become a bus driver or anything, but I thought it was fun.

So, one morning I had an email to go talk to someone on staff. I made time for it, and was blown away. Out of respect to that person, I'm not going to share content or what specifically was said, but I will say I was smiling inside for the rest of the day. No, it wasn't someone professing their love for me. *giggle* It was someone who took time to see beyond the surface and speak life into my life.

I didn't go looking for it.
I didn't expect it.
But it mattered.
It stopped me in my tracks.

I have pondered what those WORDS did to my heart.

It also reminded me what power I have in kid's lives in regard to encouragement.

I haven't started with kids yet. My students spend the first few days in class learning procedures while I'm preparing and in various trainings. Trust me, I'm excited to start with kids. Totally. *grin* I've missed my little peeps. *grin*

I know I'm good at connecting with kids, and several students want to come to my room because it's a safe place, so it's not like I doubted that. I just forgot what power one conversation can have on the human heart.

God showed me so much in that one conversation this week. I plan to use that conversation to remind me what I can do in the lives of the young people in my life in my classroom.

Sometimes in my classroom I forget that. I have some kids who have walls higher than some airplanes fly. It reminded me though, that one conversation can change a heart. *grin* For some of my young people, it's going to take SEVERAL conversations. However, that one chat changed me this week. Deeply.

I can't wait to be in my routine again. Some things have changed my little corner of the world, and it's clear my prayers this Summer were heard. *grin* I'm so pumped to be back in the routine of kids. It's what He made me to do. *grin*

I plan to remember that one chat for the rest of the school year. Well, after the Solar Eclipse day off. *grin*

I pray I can be the voice in my student's ear, as that person was to me this week.

Thank You, God for the lesson.

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
BEAUTIFUL. *grin*

No comments: