Saturday, April 07, 2018

Dear Rudy

Dear Rudy,

I hope you're having a lot of fun in Heaven! I can only imagine what it's like to not have all sorts of physical challenges like you did here. I hope you've found some friends. I know some pretty cool people there, Emma, Matthew, Spencer (but he goes by Nico), and all my Grandparents. I think Grandpa would like to meet you. You'd be good for each other.

I've thought of you TONS, and smile when I think of you! I remember the day Mom asked me if we should get Dad a dog because he had just gotten a Cancer diagnosis and I said, "don't get a puppy." Looking back, I didn't need to say that, Mom said, "Oh gosh no, we wouldn't get a puppy." *giggle*

Next thing I knew, you were part of our family!

I've thought a lot about how many dogs we went through as I was growing up. I don't recall seeing a dog all the way to the end of his life. We always had to give them away because we moved or something. You were our first "forever" dog as a family. *grin*

Mom was still working and couldn't be at home all the time with Dad. You were a cool little guy who had a rough life at first. I'm so glad you were found in Grove, Oklahoma and somehow wound up becoming an adopted Springer! *grin*

You taught me so much without even knowing it. Unconditional love, support, and encouragement all in a little body with four legs. *grin*

During my rough patches on Beech Road, I'd come home and you would sit with me. You knew. I'd sleep in "my" room at home, and when I woke up you'd be laying in the doorway waiting for me to get up. That blessed me more than you know! I smiled over and over again when you did that. *grin* You had a way of making me feel like a somebody in the midst of a season where I was battling feeling like a nobody. It was amazing have you in our world!

Of course, you helped Dad even more. I was so glad you were there for him over and over again. *grin* I'm sure Dad could write his own version of that season, leading up until this past Tuesday when you left us. *grin*

I have shown my students tons of pics of you this week. Their favorite seems to be the ones where you're in the middle of the Christmas wrap on the floor at Mom and Dad's. You'd come to me several times during our gift exchange, and I loved it. You were clearly my buddy too!

My heart leapt for you the past few times I saw you because you were clearly struggling physically. At the same time, you still showed all the humans in your world love. That makes me smile now. *grin*

I'm holding Jay closer this week, but it's not to replace you. It's not possible to replace you. It's because I know one day I will have to let Jay go to Heaven too. I don't like that idea, but that's the way it is because God thought you all should live 15ish years. Ah well, each dog we have is a gift. Roxie, Indy, Sid, and Jay are all different yet all of you know how to love better than humans do. Can you tell I've spent a lot of time thinking about you? *grin*

Thanks for loving us so well.

I hope I can pass that kind of love to those around me daily.

You're missed already.

Have fun there though. I mean, you can run, hop, hear, and see now!

Can't wait to see you again!

With Love,
Shannon

No comments: