Saturday, July 21, 2018

First Week At My New Job

So, many people have asked, and I kept saying I'd post the update. So, here goes:

I LOVE my new job. Granted, I'm still in the training stage, but, I really think I'm going to like it. People have asked what I'll be doing, and here it is:

1. I'll be leading one small peer group. It will essentially be a support group for young adults with disabilities. I'm pretty excited about that, if I'm being honest. *grin* I kind of have experience walking out life with a disability. *grin*

2. I'll be helping parents of students on IEPs advocate for what they need. This will look differently depending upon what the needs are, but, I am excited to still be a part of the Special Needs world. *grin*

3. I will also be teaching a Transition Class to High Schoolers. I think that's cool because I have lived that and can encourage young adults to walk out life this side of Heaven, even while having a disability.

4. I will be helping with the monthly social event for people with disabilities. I am pumped about that too!

5. If someone calls for resources, such as where local food banks are listed, I will give them addresses and phone numbers of where to go. So cool!

6. If someone calls for a Personal Care Assistant or other services, I will interview them and figure out how best to serve them. *grin*

There will be other tasks in there, but that is what I will eventually be doing. *grin*

I LOVE the girls on my team. I also love the environment I am working in. 75% of the people on staff have a disability of some sort. *grin* So, my limp is normal! *grin* On staff we have blind, deaf, and various physical disabilities as well. We even have several adults in wheelchairs. I LOVE IT! *grin*

I'll be honest, I kinda feel like I do out at camp when I first get there. I want the campers there right away, but, training must take place first. It will take me a little while to get in a groove, but I truly feel I will love it there. I'm itching to do it all today, but, I have learned patience this year. I can wait a little longer. *grin*

OH, THE BEST PART? NO HOMEWORK! And, I do have a computer at work, but we don't have laptops to bring work home. *grin*

I have to admit, I have wondered if I was depressed at the end of the school year. I came home exhausted each day just to work all evening on paperwork and get up and do it all over again. I do remember with about 35 days left, I woke up and counted the days. Then I told myself I could do anything for 35 days.

Again, you need to know, the sadness wasn't due to the kids. They were the highlight of my day everyday. The paperwork was what wore me down. I'll still have paperwork in this job. I mean, I don't know of any job with zero paperwork. However, this company that I joined believes in family first. *grin* Perhaps now I can have a social life. *grin*

So, I wanted to thank everyone for checking in on me recently. Words can't describe how blessed I felt on my first day of work Monday. I had SEVERAL people text me and wish me well. I will say it for the gazillionth time, I'm single but I'm not alone in this walk this side of Heaven. Truly.

Well, time to chill now. I mean, no homework to do this weekend. *grin* Is this how free everyone feels? I know I am loving it! *grin*

LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME!1!

No comments: