Friday, July 27, 2018

Loving the Skin You're In

I've been deep in thought this week. I've never worked in an office for forty hours per week and it leaves quite a bit of time to ponder things in the midst of preparing for everything in August. Yes, I work hard too, don't think I sit there and do nothing. *grin* My computer at work can show how hard I've been working. In the midst of it all, I've had plenty of thoughts come to me.

I work in a really big room with SEVERAL cubicles. So, basically I can hear conversations all over the office. My heart is touched over and over again with the care everyone has for one another. Kindness is shown over and over again in an 8.5 hour time frame. It reminds me of Camp all the time. I smile a lot in a workday. It's kind of unbelievable in some ways. On the other hand, it makes sense, because I have found my new home for this chapter of my life. *grin*

The company I work for hires people with disabilities. They prefer to have people on staff with first-hand experience with disabilities. We have people who are blind, deaf, hard-of-hearing, emotionally disabled, and physically challenged. The elevator verbally says, "floor 2" or "going down" or whatever it may be. It makes me smile all the time. Truly.

This afternoon one of my blind co-workers fielded all of the incoming calls, transferring calls, answering questions, and she was AMAZING at it. I hope I'm as good at it as she is, because I was blown away by her this afternoon. *grin*

Another little story about her, she has a guide dog. Yesterday I was walking, tripped over my own two feet (I know, talent!) and fell outside her office (some people have offices, and some have cubicles) and her guide dog came over to make sure I was okay. I laughed. It was only the second time I've been able to pet the dog, and I loved it. *grin* (Guide dogs, or therapy dogs can't be pet like Jay because they're always working)

So, being in my own little version of Camp for the past two weeks (Meaning love, acceptance, grace, etc) has had me pondering how we don't get to choose the skin we're in. People don't get to pick a disability, their skin color, or their family. God chooses it, and we walk forward doing the best we can.

If I'm completely honest, I like my limp. It's part of me but NOT ALL OF ME.

I think that's where people with disabilities sometimes get frustrated. It feels like able-bodied people see the limp and immediately think we(I) are not cognitively with it. I'm sure everyone with a disability has their own version of that. I heard a friend who is in a wheelchair say that people pat her head. People are often trying to be kind, they just don't quite know how to do that. *grin*

However, in the world of Barnabas, also known as my new job, disabilities are actually abilities. I know that's true for me on so many levels. Over the years I've connected with kids & adults with disabilities because of the limp. I can relate in ways some other people cannot. *grin*

So, as I've watched other people with disabilities at my new job, it has reminded me how normal a disability can be. How God made us exactly how He wants us to be. How He wants ALL OF US to LOVE THE SKIN we're in. We might not have chosen our bodies, but I truly believe He gave special circumstances to special people because He knew we would rock at it. *giggle*

If you don't love the skin you're in, work on it. Focus on your strengths, not weaknesses. Make note of what you CAN do instead of what you CANNOT do. Trust me, EVERYONE is good at something. *grin*

I have a theory. The older I get, the more I see it over and over again.

Here it is...we ALL have a limp. Or something that we THINK is bigger than we really are and we allow it to hold us back.

For example, perhaps someone is addicted to drugs. That has the potential to hinder a person's life experience. Some people don't like the skin they're in so they cut themselves. Both of those examples break my heart to think someone doesn't like themselves enough to treat their body well.

I think loving the skin we're in is a life-long process. I pray that the kids out at camp grow into it quickly. The world isn't always kind to those who appear different. I believe that's why relationships mean so much to me. Life is too short to not like the skin you're in and I try to remind people of that.

So, as I ponder more, I might share it. In the mean time, go ahead, ponder your life. Love the skin you're in. You only get one life this side of Heaven, so why not enjoy it?

*grin*
LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME...in the skin I'm in!

No comments: