Monday, January 21, 2019

The Skin You're In

I have had a repeated thought over the years but I don't think I've blogged about it and published it. You'd be surprised at how many posts I write that I don't click "publish." I think that's healthy, but not necessarily the norm today. With the invention of Social Media, we tend to share EVERYTHING in our lives. I believe that we don't need to be quite that open. Transparency is healthy, but over-sharing isn't needed. For example, I don't want to see your dinner. I mean, I get it if you LOVE the food, but do we have to post it for the world to see on a nightly basis? That's just my thought, I have been known to "hide" people's feed on my fb wall for that reason. Anyway, back to my main thoughts. *grin*

I am sitting here on MLK Jr. Day watching The View highlight people with black skin who have made a difference in our society. I have recently had an inner struggle with the whole skin color issue. Please hear me out here, don't just close this blog window. *grin*

With my new job, I have entered into more diversity (on my job) than I have ever been in. I'll admit, prior to this job, I didn't think about skin color much.

I am white.

I didn't choose that, I was born that way.

I am also born post-slavery.

I was also blessed to be born in America.

There are so many things in life that we are able to choose, but the skin we're in isn't one of them.

Yet, I think (as a human race) we tend to judge people based on the color of their skin instead of the content of their character. (Where have you heard that before? *grin*) I cannot truly relate to someone in black skin. Since I've taken this new job, I'm learning what prejudices are truly still alive in our country. That makes me sad, but it's a reality.

For example, a few months ago, I went to teach in a high school that wasn't one of my assigned schools in this new gig. A co-worker asked me to sub for her on a day she couldn't be there but she didn't want to cancel it. So, I went and they let me in a back door and I had to make my way to the front office of the school. It was an adventure as it was a long walk. Upon returning to my work, I told my manager (who has black skin) about that and she said that wouldn't happen if it had been her. The school is predominately white, and she's right. They would have directed her to the front door first. My heart broke a little when I heard that, but I agreed with her that would have most likely been the case.

The more I have pondered this, the more I have noticed my world is different, but similar. I recently took paperwork to a high school I will be teaching in, and I went there at 8am. At that time, they had a Before School Program going on for the elementary school in the common area when I first entered the school. The kids ALL stared at my leg. Is that new for me? No, but sometimes I forget about the limp until I'm around new people. That's okay, I'm made the way I'm supposed to be.

The older I get, the more I am learning that we're supposed to be different.

Whether it's skin color, physical disability, or religious belief, we're supposed to be different.

Another thing I've noticed is how many people DON'T like who they are, and don't like something about them. I get not liking something about us to change us. (For example I have a weight loss challenge at the moment) However, I don't hate myself, nor do I wish I was someone else.

My heart aches for people who walk around wanting to change their physical appearance (nose job, for example) because they feel it doesn't meet the standards of those around them. I mean, that REALLY breaks my heart.

We are all made differently on purpose. I taught with a gal years ago who joked everyday that I could go in and sub for her Kindergarten students. I told her that Kindergarteners scare me. *giggle* We need Kindergarten teachers for sure, and we also need people with a heart for people with Special Needs. *grin*

We all NEED to be different.

I'm still working out the whole skin color issue in my mind because I DON'T think people with dark skin are less than me AT ALL. Unfortunately, we live in a society where that isn't always the case. My heart breaks when someone in dark skin is made to feel less than other people.

No one is BETTER than anyone else.

Period.

So, I pray that we (as a nation) can respect each other based on the content of a person's character, and not the color of their skin. (Or whatever is is that makes us different) I also pray that you, the reader, can grow to love the skin you're in. There's only one you, and we only get one life this side of Heaven.

Let's make it count. *grin*

LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR PHYSICAL FRAME LOOKS LIKE. *grin*

No comments: