Friday, June 21, 2019

FUN LITTLE MOMENTS, Camp Barnabas Style

Ohmygosh, I just had the best two weeks of this year! Yes, I was at Camp Barnabas for those two weeks. Two VERY different weeks. Some moments were hard, funny, loving, & precious all at the same time. I've been serving since 2007 as a Cabin Mom, and it always amazes me how different each week is from the week or year before. This year was one of the best so far!

I served Terms 1 and 2 this year, and gosh am I glad I went! I have several stories, but plan to break them up into short stories in one (or two) post(s). I walked away with a deeper love of His children, kindness in all I walked in, and some lessons in selflessness. *grin*

During Term 2, we had a camper named Sally in our cabin, and one of her prayers became what summed up camp perfectly & a phrase we said a lot in our cabin. She has such a kind heart and in several prayers she thanked God for all of our Fun Little Moments. Yup, that's camp summed up nicely.

So, I'm going to dive in and share about some of those fun little moments. *grin*

Term 1 I served in Cabin G9. If you've never bee to camp, it's one of the furthest places from the main area of camp that you can be from. That means a lot of steps, and I averaged six miles per day. At that time, I walked around tired but it was all so worth it! My staffers were amazing, and made our cabin so fun.

We had a camper named Ashley, who I spent the most time with throughout the week. Ashley is non-verbal, but gosh she taught me so many different things throughout the week. Her missionary, Kaleigh, was a gift too. Ashley may not be able to use her voice, but she can communicate to let us know what she needs. Sometimes she would point, and sometimes she would scoot on her bottom (she has CP and Down Syndrome) to get where she wanted to be. If she didn't want to move, she wouldn't. Those moments were character-building, and so many lessons were learned throughout that. Ashley taught me that life is simple, and we make it complicated more than we should.*grin*

I took my $5 Was-Mart hoodie to camp, thinking that if it was stolen it was only $5. Little did I know that it would be used for HOURS playing peek-a-boo with Ashley. I learned how tiring peek-a-boo can be, but also how much joy can be given through that simple little game. During Cross Carry and Closing, I did peek-a-boo with Ashley and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Ashley will always have a special place in my heart, and peek-a-boo will always remind me of her. *grin*

Kaleigh, gosh I could write pages on this loving missionary. She was with Ashley every step of the way, and wanted her to have the BEST week ever. God clearly paired them up, and it was fun to watch their relationship grow. Kaleigh and I also had a really good routine with Ashley, and I was so proud of this young lady! The last night at wrap up, we prayed together, and that night will forever be with me. I think we often believe that our teens today are out of touch, but out at camp I am repeatedly shown that they have more wisdom than we given them credit for & love that shines the light of Jesus. Kaleigh did for sure. *grin* I pray I get to serve beside her again. For. Real.

We also had a camper named Julie. I have had Julie in a cabin before but it has been a while. I think Julie is often judged outside the camp gates because of her big headphones, but inside camp she's a jewel. My favorite moment with her was when I got to be on the wheelchair swing with her for about an hour. She made me genuinely laugh, and throughout the week we would make each other laugh just by laughing. *giggle* Julie taught me that we need to just be ourselves, and let those who love us matter and those who don't get us, don't matter. I hope I'm in a cabin with her again in the future.

Kelsey and Kate were our staffers and they both worked VERY hard to make sure a good time was had by all. Kate and I didn't always agree on things, but we never let that get in our way. Kate will always hold a special place in my heart, as she pushed herself to be more than she was and gave 100% all the time. I'm praying for her for the next two weeks to come. *grin* Kelsey was the one I spent the most time with, and I was amazed by her leadership and openness. Kelsey took time to get to know all of us and her love was radiant. I loved that! *grin* I hope to serve beside Kelsey again too. She's a gem.

Term 1 had the BEST group of Barnstormers I've ever seen out at Barnabas. Grace was one of ours, and she was incredible. She really connected with Ashley and I hope she gets to serve in my cabin in the future as a missionary. She will rock it for sure!

Griffin was another barnstormer who connected with several campers during Term 1. Griffin did a great job, and I loved the suit he wore for the dance. He's a keeper too and I hope he returns. *grin*

Several of our campers had been at the Lake but never at Purdy and they truly captured my heart. It always amazes me how some people can cry when their parents leave, and be smiling a day later saying she never wanted to leave. All of our campers during Term 1 blessed me. Each had their own personality and I loved all of them. *grin* I hope to have them in my cabin in the future. *grin*

I stayed below the Fish House for Term 1 and loved it. While it was more steps to walk, we had our own bathroom which I LOVED. My roommates were fun, and one was a former staffer. I napped everyday and got in shape throughout that week. I wouldn't trade Term 1 for anything in the world. *grin*

I rushed home on June 7, did laundry, ran to Wal-Mart, picked up Jay, repacked the bags with clean clothes, and did the whole thing all over again. As usual, leaving Jay was the hardest part of going to camp, but he stayed with some friends of mine so I felt good about that. *grin*

The second week was for young people (ages 16-25) and several chapters of my life came together for that week. I had campers from EVERY chapter of my world at camp. That was a bonus! Several campers made me smile, and I was SO GLAD that I registered for that week! It was AMAZING! I even saw one of the young ladies that was in my cabin in 2007! I smiled. A LOT!

My staffers blew me away Term 2! I don't know how camp finds such amazing servants but I'm glad they do. Sarah was a young lady that I've served beside before at Barnabas. She and Ronni (my fave camper of all time) have a special bond too. It was so fun to share the week with Sarah and Ronni! Sarah has the patience of Job, and made everything seem so easy. She loves with all of her heart and EVERYONE she meets this Summer will be blessed beyond words.

One of my roommates during Term 2 was Sarah's Mom, Christi. Christi is a jewel. The first night I slept on the couch in our room because I couldn't get up to the top bunk. *giggle* Christi gave me her bottom bunk the next day so I didn't have to be on the couch. Christi will never know how much that blessed me. It's a small thing, but it truly blessed me. Thanks, Christi!

Term 2 I was blessed to be in Ronni's cabin once again. Ronni and I met in 2008, and had a connection from the start. I remember in 2008, that little girl who cried every night and wanted to go home. Meanwhile this year, she rarely mentioned Mommy, Daddy, brothers, or the family dog, Cedar. She is now a young lady and she made me laugh over and over again. Ronni will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart. *grin*

Hannah was our other staffer, who was amazing. My favorite moment was when she was reading the kid's bible to one of our campers. It was precious. Hannah will also bless ALL those in G5 this summer. She'll never know how proud I was of her throughout the week. Legit.

We had one camper who captured my heart, and she didn't want to leave our cabin at all. My heart broke for her, as she struggled during the week. In the end, she went home a little early due to various reasons. That camper will always hold a special place in my heart. I spent a lot of the week in the cabin (with a staffer, of course, rule of 3!) while the others went out and experienced camp. I didn't mind though. One of His kids was struggling, and my heart was there anyway so it wasn't a sacrifice in my opinion. That's what we're called to do, be there for the people who need us. That camper probably doesn't know it, but she will always hold a special place in my heart. Totally.

We had a missionary that came to camp without a church group, and I liked her the moment I met her. She admitted one night during family time (small group time after campers are in bed) that when she first arrived at camp, she asked her Dad to take her home. I'M SO GLAD HE DIDN'T TAKE HER HOME! She was such a blessing to our cabin, and I think she'll be back at camp in the future. *grin*

All of our missionaries and campers were amazing. Sally, cousin to Sarah, kept us laughing throughout the week. Sally tattooed herself with special markers on one day, and I laughed. Sally is pretty special to me too. I mean, we were thankful for all the fun little moments due to her. *giggle*

Kinsly loved trips to the restroom (with two people, of course) & hated rain, Katie kept us all in line by asking, "Where are you going? Why?", Meg made us smile repeatedly. I'll admit, I can't recall all of the campers little things that made them special, but I am glad EVERY ONE of them was in my cabin. I want ALL of them in my cabin in the future. Barnabas truly is a family, and I'm so glad I get to be a part of it. *grin*

Some people ask me what's so great about camp. I often feel that words can't describe what all happens, and I'm at a loss how to describe it. Yes, there are stories, and they are often really funny. What you don't know is that it's the purest form of Kindness I've seen lived out this side of Heaven. I'm a relationship gal, and those that are formed at camp are life-changing in ways you don't understand unless you're there. Several nights I sat and watched "cool" kids play basketball, volleyball, and/or throw a football with people with disabilities. They didn't go easy on them, but they did encourage them to try their best. I remember watching one staffer & one camper spend a LONG time throwing a football back and forth. It was the way I picture Heaven. No limitations, people just being people, met right where they are. That's worth more than all the money in the world.

I entered back into the working world & Vacation Bible School (V.B.S.) at my church this week. It didn't take long for the limp to make me different again, and for little kids at VBS to say, "What's wrong with you?" I smiled before explaining it to the little people, but it made me ache for camp. Being different is cool, don't misunderstand me, but to be in a place where there's unconditional acceptance is priceless to me. And honestly, I wish everyone could see it.

It makes me long for Heaven even more. For now though, I'll take my Barn-a-bubble experiences when I can get them. And no matter where I am, I will enjoy all the little moments this side of Heaven. *grin*

LIFE.
IS.
AWESOME, especially out at Camp Barnabas! *grin*

No comments: