Thursday, March 19, 2020

Taking Thoughts Captive-COVID-19

HI! Thanks for taking time to read my post. I hope you are encouraged by it. *grin*

The past ten-ish (Maybe 11, but let's not get caught up in exact numbers) days have been the wildest ones of my life. If you're reading this you know that we're in the midst of the challenges of the Coronavirus (Covid 19). I think I was in shock the first few days, thinking this was a movie and that I'd wake up and it would be over. Obviously that wasn't the case. *grin*

Twenty years ago I had someone in my life who taught me a lesson that I have used repeatedly throughout my adult life. I think everyone could benefit from her words, especially now in the midst of so much uncertainty and no end in sight. I am going to throw in some scripture here, and for some of you that isn't your belief system. Bear with me, as it won't matter where you are in your journey (although if you don't know Jesus and have questions, I'm here to answer them. *grin*) but the words can be applied no matter what you believe regarding spirituality.

Twenty years ago I was struggling emotionally, so I went to a therapist who is a Christian. I'll briefly share that season and the words I've kept near to my heart since then.

I'm a people person. I care A LOT about people, and well, I was living alone and in the beginning of my teaching career. I didn't understand how a gal who loves people so much would still be single. I wanted the American Dream...family. So, I went to talk with someone and I can still hear her words.

She told me, in several conversations, that the key to life is to take my thoughts captive and obedient to Christ. (2 Cor 10:5)

In other words, there will always be a challenge in life, but it's how we handle it in our mind that matters most. I'll go a step further and say that for me it is taking my thoughts captive and remembering who I am in the Lord. For you, that may look different and that's okay. *grin*

We are in a season that is overwhelming just sitting here on my couch. (allergies kept me home today) We won't mention the stress that can occur when you have to go out for supplies or whatever.

I went out early this morning for over-the-counter medication. The roads were empty. It felt strange. I went to Leawood, and I've never seen it so deserted before. During my drive I had the Bob Goff Podcast on. (Love Bob's Podcast!) He encouraged his listeners to write, sing, whatever it takes to help us through this season. While I drove I remembered my friend's words, "...take thoughts captive and obedient to Christ."

I've done that A LOT over years.

Change in job? He has something else for me.
Job Searching? He has had something planned for me since before I was formed. There is always a reason for change, because I hate change. But there's something out there for me.
Unexpected loss of life (friend, family, etc)? He has taken them Home.
People talk poorly about me? I'm a child of God, their thoughts don't carry weight with me. He is my audience of one (PD taught me that. *grin*) with unconditional support & love.
Fear of losing food, shelter, etc? He has plans for me. He will take care of me.

As you can see, I've taken what could potentially be a challenge and stopped and prayed to see the perspective in a healthy way.

You might be wondering where I'm headed with this. Well, there is A LOT out of our control right now. It is super easy to get down due to what is happening in our world. So let's flip it and see the positives in a hard situation.

Social Distancing? Well, we still have technology. No one is alone in this. Call, text, email, or whatever it takes to remain in a healthy mindset if you live on your own. Have a family? Take this time to invest in your kids, they'll be gone before you know it.
Feeling sad? Pray, sing, write, whatever calms you and keeps you healthy.
Bored? Watch Netflix, read a book, clean a room, go for a walk (not around people). Jay and I still walk, because no one is outdoors. *grin*
Climbing the walls? Get in the car, turn the music up, and go for a drive. *grin* This one will be something I do a lot in the next couple weeks. The bonus to this over a snow storm is that we can still get out of our four walls.
No toilet paper? Use other items such as kleenex, tissue, etc. (don't clog your toilet though)
No hand sanitizer? There's always soap and water. I have more soap than anything, and will use it because I'm almost out of sanitizer.
(And not washing hands is GROSSSSSSS!!!!)
Your company not letting you work at home? At least you have a job. *grin*

I'm sure you get my point.

I know people who are ALWAYS focusing on the negative. My heart breaks for them. They are truly unhappy.

In reality, I don't think social distancing will last forever. As humans, we're wired to be together.

The next few weeks won't be easy, but we can do this!

This didn't take God by surprise, and we were born for a time such as this.

So when those negative thoughts hit, try to remember to flip it. Your thoughts become your attitude & reality.

As for me, it's time to eat and watch a little Netflix.

Oh, and one more tidbit for free. *giggle* Be sure to thank the people working to stock shelves, healthcare workers sacrificing for us, and tip when you can.

This is one of those seasons we won't forget. I tend to think I'll be blogging more, as it is a release for me.

In the meantime, I'll be praying for each of you. If you have a request, send it my way.

Life is good.
Even when you're at home more than usual. *grin*

No comments: